Author Topic: Trying to access early censuses  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Chellexxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Trying to access early censuses
« on: Wednesday 28 April 04 15:53 BST (UK) »
I am currently trying to trace previous owners of my house right back to when it was built (1880's i think). I have easily accessed the 1901 census online, but feel i am having a lot more trouble accessing 1881/1891 censuses and finding a search that will track down houses and not people. I am in the Kidderminster area.
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Chelle x

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Trying to access early censuses
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 16:01 BST (UK) »
Several helpful people on here are able to do lookups. I believe 1881 can be searched by address, with v4 (or higher) of their software.

Why not start with the 1901 occupants and see if they were there 10 years previously?. Just paste up names,ages, 1901 address.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Chellexxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 16:08 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that you have a reliable address for the 1891 census? As the sites i have been on arent all that clear!

I have looked for the previous owner through searches of 1891 and i get  "no matches" everytime! The surname is quite common "COOKE" but i wouldnt have thought that it would be hard to find as i have birth places, birth date and spouses name etc??

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
Home - the Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House

Dear Chelle there is a great drama just started on Radio4 which may be of interest to you in your research.  I am following the drama as it is "just up may Street"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/whour_serial.shtml#last

Regards

Sarah
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.