Author Topic: Dudgeon  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Downieabz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dudgeon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for putting me right on the Jane/James confusion - my friend has deteriorating eyesight, which made her give up professional genealogy, and has obviously misread the certificate.

Unfortunately I subscribe to many different family history boards but I will make a note in my database of this correspondence instead of relying on the search facility in my email programme.

My family moved from Kilconquhar to South Leith some time between 1767 and 1770 as David Downie and Jean Boid had their fourth son in Kilconquhar in 1767 and their fifth, sixth and seventh in South Leith. I believe that David was the same David (labourer in South Leith) whose death on 11 February 1791 aged 55 and burial on 13 February is recorded in the South Leith OPR. That doesn't quite match his birth date of 9 October 1733 in Kilconquhar so there is still a doubt that this is his burial record, though the occupation is the same as shown on the birth records of the two sons whose records I could find.

I've been in to that OPR twice already, first for my Downies and then for another family in the early 19th Century whose head, Alexander, was a shipmaster - he was born in Braemar. There are lots of Downies there through the years so one day I must go through the whole thing.

I have often come across Lowries and Downies in the same OPR and I don't think there is any connection between the names. However I know that as I scroll through the films, I always stop when I see 'Lowrie' and double check.

Thanks for the information on Thomas Downie's burial record, which establishes his approximate date of birth. I have what appears to be a different record, from the Grange Cemetery records or a transcription from his gravestone, found on the Edinburgh Ancestors website (which I thought was defunct but has now been revitalised). I didn't know who it was but the details match fairly closely: Thomas Downie died 5 August 1832 aged 47. There is a picture of the gravestone there and I have sent a donation in the hope that the photograph which I will receive in return will be readable enough to make out the inscription: http://www.edinburghancestors.org.uk/dbase/site/Gravestones_Databaseview.php?ID=15883

Of course I didn't realise that this was the same Thomas but it seems quite likely. Can you give the full details from the OPR record to verify that this is the same person?

As an aside (maybe?), I have a William Downie born about 1796 in Crathie and Braemar who became head gardener at Traquair House. He was almost certainly a Catholic (he had a son who was a priest) and his birth is not recorded in the Braemar or Crathie OPRs. There are lots of loose ends in Braemar as there was a large Catholic population and the Catholic registers don't start till 1820. Some people had one or more of their children registered in the Church of Scotland OPR. He married Ann Frazer in November 1820 in South Leith and his son James Duncan Downie was a Gardener living at 43 Home Street, St Cuthberts in 1841. Unfortunately, William's death certificate, on which his son Robert William Wallace Downie of New Abbey Dumfries was the informant, does not give his mother's name, only the father William Downie Farmer (deceased). Most of the other children emigrated to Queensland and I have been in touch with their descendants.

I can't help at all with the children of John Downie and Alison Barrie as all I have is their dates of birth from IGI. I'm waiting for FreeCEN to find them in the 1851-71 Censuses!

All the best

Ian

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dudgeon and Downie
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 23:58 GMT (UK) »
This is all I can add to what I have already given re. Thomas Downie.

OPR (Deaths) 685/02 0129 St. Cuthbert's

(died)   August 5th 1832.  The age on the DC is 48 not 47 but that is a minor detail.
The gravestone you found is definitely his. Son John is also buried in the Grange cemetery which is close to where they both worked.

MairiD
Fife;  Annan,  Annal,  Robertson, Laing, Coutts.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.
Argyll; Walker, Campbell.

Offline kirkbairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Just curios I have mary bartholomew married to Thomas Dudgeon marr 21 jan 1851 St Cuthberts Parish  is there any connections

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Not that I know of at present. 

Thomas Dudgeon, b. c. 1829, the youngest son of Thomas the gardener, became a minisiter of the UP Church. He married a Martha. He died in Morningside in 1908.

Does the MC state your Thomas' occupation?

MairiD
Fife;  Annan,  Annal,  Robertson, Laing, Coutts.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.
Argyll; Walker, Campbell.

Offline helenbk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Downie family
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 March 10 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I happen to come across your post about the Downie family.  My great-great grandfather William Hunter's wife was a Jane Downie. I don't know much about her, except that they were married in Scotland, moved to Ireland (he was a blacksmith), and then went to Ontario, Canada. I don't have a birthdate for her from my records. I know that she wandered off while visiting her daughter in 1883 and was never found. My great-grandfather William B Hunter was born in 1846, in Ireland.
Do you know if she was married to a Hunter?
Hunter, Downie and Beatty

Offline chenderson183

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 January 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I know this is probably useless information but, I own a book that belonged to Rev.d William Wallace Downie who was a priest at Saint Mary's Cathedral at New Abby off Broughton Street. The book is dated MDCCCL(1850) called "Passaglia Commentari. I bought it at an estate sale. I wanted to know who he was because there's a sticker note inside with his name & the church he was a Rev at. So, I just thought I would share. Because I think it's neat I own something that belonged to a member of your family lineage.

Offline Downieabz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dudgeon and Downie
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the other 'Downie gardeners' at Juniper Green and Currie but have not found a link with John Downie, latterly of Corstorphine.

As far as I know, there is no link - those are my Downies. James Downie was born on 25 October 1806 in Currie, son of David Downie and Mary Kerr, and died on 28 August 1875 in South Leith. David Downie, his nephew and my great great grandfather, was born on 10 March 1821 in Penicuik, son of George Downie, slater and innkeeper in Juniper Green and his wife Ann Robertson, and died on 21 October 1875 in Juniper Green.

My brick walls concerned the later lives of James, b. 1844 and John, b. 1848, Edinburgh, the third and fourth sons of John Downie, (1811-1892) the nurseryman and his first wife, Alison Barrie.  They helped their father in the early days.  They may have emigrated.

James B[arrie] Downie died on 19 February 1868 in Edinburgh, as reported in the Dundee Courier and Argus of Friday 21 February 1868 page 4. John Bell Downie did indeed emigrate - he died on 27 March 1871 at Hampden Manse, Jamaica, at the residence of his uncle, the Rev. Thomas Downie - source Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser Tuesday 2 May 1871.

Thomas Downie went first to Nova Scotia as the first minister of the new Presbyterian Church in the Province in 1861 (Dundee Courier Wednesday 24 December 1862 page 4).

That should help with your brick wall.

Ian

Offline Downieabz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I know this is probably useless information but, I own a book that belonged to Rev.d William Wallace Downie who was a priest at Saint Mary's Cathedral at New Abby off Broughton Street. The book is dated MDCCCL(1850) called "Passaglia Commentari. I bought it at an estate sale. I wanted to know who he was because there's a sticker note inside with his name & the church he was a Rev at. So, I just thought I would share. Because I think it's neat I own something that belonged to a member of your family lineage.

Not at all useless. If you look back, you will see my earlier post includes this:
As an aside (maybe?), I have a William Downie born about 1796 in Crathie and Braemar who became head gardener at Traquair House. He was almost certainly a Catholic (he had a son who was a priest) and his birth is not recorded in the Braemar or Crathie OPRs. There are lots of loose ends in Braemar as there was a large Catholic population and the Catholic registers don't start till 1820. Some people had one or more of their children registered in the Church of Scotland OPR. He married Ann Frazer in November 1820 in South Leith and his son James Duncan Downie was a Gardener living at 43 Home Street, St Cuthberts in 1841. Unfortunately, William's death certificate, on which his son Robert William Wallace Downie of New Abbey Dumfries was the informant, does not give his mother's name, only the father William Downie Farmer (deceased). Most of the other children emigrated to Queensland and I have been in touch with their descendants.
Your book belonged to Robert William Wallace Downie, son of William Downie, gardener at Traquair House, and Ann Frazer. Can you post an exact transcription of the sticker? He was indeed a priest at St Mary's, Broughton Street, and is listed there in the 1856-7 Edinburgh and Leith Post Office Directory. He later (before the 1881 Census) moved to New Abbey in Dumfriesshire and he was still there in 1886 when he was the informant on his father's death certificate. I don't think anyone who has contributed to this topic is related (I doubt if I am) but I am in touch with descendants of his father who moved to Queensland. Obviously the priest doesn't have any descendants!

Ian

Offline Michelle Pearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 July 17 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, I wanted to make contact with you and assure you that William Wallace Downie does have descendants.

I am an Australian descendant of William Downie b.1797 Scotland d.29/06/1886 Traquair, and Ann Fraser/Frazer b.1797 Kirkmichael d.09/05/1885 Traquair- they were my 3rd Great Grandparents. William was Master Gardener & Factor at Traquair House, Traquair. They were married in November 1820 at South Leith and had 3 children. I have a copy Williams' Will & Probate information. Do you know that William also owned quite a bit of property in Innerleithen?

(1) James Duncan Downie b.11/01/1822 Edinburgh d.28/07/1883 Brisbane, Australia married Catherine Park 11/01/1841 at Traquair. Catherine b.09/12/1819 Peebles d.27/09/1874 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, they were my 2nd Great Grandparents, they had 4 sons & 4 daughters and all immigrated to Australia. In Australia James D Downie's Employment was originally as a Prison Officer then Customs Officer.

(2) William Wallace Downie b.05/06/1825 Traquair d.20/02/1906 at New Abbey, Dumfries - he was my 3rd Great Uncle, who became a priest in the Church of Scotland, he studied for the priesthood at Blairs College, Aberdeenshire then Scots College, Rome, ordained in Rome in 1851 aged 26 years and not long after returned to Scotland to continue his ministry. I have his Obituary which was kindly forwarded to me by the Archivist of Scotland Scottish Catholic Archives.

(3) Margaret Downie b.1828 Traquair d.13/05/1883 Traquair. Margaret lived with her parents all her life, she never married, she was my 3rd Great Aunt.

Thankfully James & Catherine bred well so that line of the family has extended greatly over the years.

I know that Williams' father was also named William Downie, information from William and Ann's Scotland Marriage records but no mention of his mothers' name, can you please tell me if you have any information about William Downie Snr?

I also wanted to ask you if you could please give me contact details of the lady who sent you a message about a book which had belonged to William Wallace Downie as I would love to ask if she could either send me photographs of it or if perhaps I could purchase it from her, it would be wonderful to be able to pass it down through the family.

Michelle Pearce nee Downie
Downie
Park
Frazer/Fraser