Author Topic: diamonds  (Read 5603 times)

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
diamonds
« on: Tuesday 22 February 05 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on a family from Straud-Rair, Wigtownshire. Father/husband was John Diamond, wife/mother was Margaret McGraw. hoping to get dates for this marriage and any children of this marriage. 1 child was born about 1824 so assume marriage around this time as well. need to verify this childs name also as different version has recently cropped up. i have the child as "Sarah Coleman Diamond " but possibly it is "Sarah Calendar McGraw Diamond". if any body can shed some light on this i will be eternally grateful.

The family eventually move to Middlesex, England because Sarah marries there to a Richard Russell and they emigrate to Australia in 1848.
thanks every one
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline snowwhite77

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: diamonds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 05 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickie,

Had a look for you. i found the birth record for Sarah Diamond from LDS (i assume this is also where you found it).
This information was submitted by a memeber of LDS church and not obtained from original documents so it is not very reliable. For instance the birth place was given as Straud-Rair, Wigtown. I think what the person meant was Stranraer. So you see what i mean about being unreliable.
Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. This is a pay-per-view site. £6.00 gives you 30 credits so you would be able to search for birth & marriage records too.
Good luck with your search. Sorry i couldn't help more.
Snowwhite
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown

Offline marriedwithkids

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 05 01:43 GMT (UK) »
thank you anyway for trying. i will see what else i can do to find this family
Muddle\Sussex
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline Valerie BW

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 12:46 BST (UK) »
John Diamond - Margaret McGaw - We have the family sorted
Sarah b: about 1820, William b: about 1824, Margaret born 1829, Alexander b:1830
Sarah married Richard Russell in London about 1840
William married Johanna (Thomson) Brown in Sydney 1860
Margaret married William Elliot in Sydney 1854
Alexander married Alicia O'Neill in Sydney 1852
William & Johanna went to Golden Bay etc. Others stayed in Australia

Not certain of John Diamond or Margaret McGaw's birth or marriage yet except that we know Margaret was Scottish & think Wigtown or thereabouts, John Diamond died in Barbados & their son Alexander was born in Grenada according to his death certificate.

Have Margaret's second marriage to Thomas Henry Hartley London 1836 & her second family etc.

Offline marriedwithkids

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
welcome to the family tree cuz
have sent u an email from the straud rair post and await your reply.
we know that Sarah married Richard Russell in 1843 and came to Aus onboard the Walmer Castle in 1848 with 2 of their sons and Sarah's sister Margaret and now that we know there was more diamonds that came out as well we can start research on them as well.
look forward to hearing from you
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline Valerie BW

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your very welcome interest - thrilling to be putting Margaret McGaw's family together - A cousin in Auckland has a Diamond family history book almost complete for the descendants of William Diamond & is in touch with a descendant of Alexander Diamond which has verified stories of their Scottish/Carribean/London origins that your side now confirm. Can only be onward & upward from here!
Our lot remembered that John Diamond was in the British Army - Alexander's death certificate said he was a provisioner to the army in Barbados. Have checked this out with success so far. Did employ a researcher in Barbados - no luck.

I found you by doing a search for Sarah (Diamond) Russell - shall I post a 2 or 3 descendant list so others might find us also?

Offline marriedwithkids

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
most of us over here are in contact with most sides of the family i think but incase there are more of us ready to fall out of the tree it can't hurt to post a list.it sounds like you have a lot more info than i have for the diamond side and would love to exchange info. i am seeking info on the russell side as we speak from some nice people on rootschat and am hoping someone can help. i am descendant of Richard and Sarah's son Arthur who was born in england before they emigrated.
Arthur married Leah Legg in NSW in 1874 and  their daughter Sarah married my great grandfather Reuban Matthews in NSW in 1890 and they had 11 kids so we are a big family as you can see.
please keep in touch and email me and i will send the info i have to you. my email address is  *
i will send info to you as pdf files if thats ok. if you don't have pdf reader i can convert to word files if thats easier for you.
hear from you soon
Vickie(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Muddle\Sussex
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline CEC

• RootsChat Extra
  • vires acquirit eundo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 February 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Re Diamond family,
I am seeking info / connection with my Diamond family tree from the Stoneykirk / Stranraer area.
GGG was John Diamond ( stone mason) B16/4/1839 - D21/3/1921 Stranraer; married Mary Lavery on 5/6/1862 @ Stoneykirk.  Had 10 children including my GGM, Mary Diamond B 7/6/1867 Portpatrick- D 4/12/1956 Glasgow. Mary Lavery D 2/2/1884 and John married Agnes Gray Craig on 2/3/1885. They had 2 more children, Annabella B 1886 and Alexander B 1890.
John Diamond may have been the natural son of William Diamond and Sarah Wood.
If anyone can see a link with their Diamond members please let me know. Regards, CEC.
Cooper - Stoneykirk ; Lancashire - Lunesdale
Paterson - Stoneykirk ;
Green - Stranraer; Diamond - Wigtownshire ;
Warren - Stranraer ; Girvin - Stranraer ;
Cathell or Cuthill - Paisley ; Walker - Stranraer