Author Topic: A Burial for baby Louisa wycherley  (Read 3046 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Burial for baby Louisa wycherley
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 03:20 BST (UK) »
I have the deaths of both mother and child. Mother Susannah Wycherley (nee Furmston) died 02.01.1855 at Northwood Ellesmere Shrop, age 31, she is buried in the Furmston Family tomb at St Marys Ellesmere with 11 other members of her Furmston family. I have the MI's inscribed on the tomb, baby Louisa not here. I find it odd she is not buried with her mother, the babies listed on the MI's are accounted for.
Birth Certificate for Louisa Wycherley,  Northwood, father Robert,  08.10.1854.
Death index only for Louisa  Mar quarter 1855, so she would only have been a couple of months old and both mother & child died around the same time.
How do I go about finding out where this child is buried, can anybody help, it would be much appreciated

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Burial for baby Louisa wycherley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have only just seen your post. I wonder if the baby Louisa is buried in the same coffin as her mother? If the deaths were within about a week of each other that would be entirely possible and indeed was the custom. I have a relative who died more than a week after her newborn and the baby was cradled in her mother`s arms in the same coffin. People were not buried so soon after death as nowadays, it was not respectful.I would have thought however that the baby would be mentioned unless being so young it was not yet baptised and therefore was not allowed to be buried in the main body of the consecrated cemetery. I am not sure of the rules of that. When you say March Quarter that is Jan-Feb-Mar  she could have died in any of those months so its possible there was not much time between the two deaths and  she could have died about the same date as her mother . Maybe it was such a usual thing to do that it was not thought necessary to mention it, do you have Louisa`s death cert for an exact date?Hope you find her. I can`t find my rellie from 1914 and the baby did not even have a name. That saddend me. Best of luck. Viktoria.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Viktoria, thankyou for your post re above.  I now have both the mother and child death certs.
Susannah Wycherley ,   2 Jan 1855,  at Northwood, Ellesmere, Shropshire , Cause Bronchitis , Consumption.
Louisa Wycherley,  14 Feb 1855, at Bettisfield.  Cause Debility since its birth, age 4 months.
She was born 8 Oct 1854.
The address on Louisa's death cert is not the same as their  home address. She died 7 weeks after her mother.
I am now thinking as she had a debility maybe she was put somewhere to be looked after, in those days this was quite a stigma upon the family, She was the 5th child to be born, all girls.
Maybe this is as far as I can go with this.
Cheers,  Judy

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
I see, as the baby was so young she may have been fostered out to a woman"wet nurse" who would have breast fed her, this was also  a very common practice. The dates are too far apart for Louisa to be with her mother. Are  there burial records for the town? try, you may find where she is. I have just traced graves of rellies from 1888,1892,1910. Best of luck .Viktoria.(Sorry if you have tried this already)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
Thanks again for your input, it all puts things together eventually. I will continue to look for the childs grave, maybe when I least expect it something will crop up.
Judy