Author Topic: spooky coincidence?  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: spooky coincidence?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

That's incredible, I'm so glad if what I contributed helped to make the link.  I suppose it's quite likely you have some living Jarman cousins locally, since the last burial was so recent.

I must confess I hadn't read the entire article about Wrenne when i posted the link - just the first paragraph that caught my eye when I found that she was the daughter of a builder called Job. 

You say your side of the family is more interesting if less reputable but I think Wrenne sounds quite a fascinating cousin... and perhaps not entirely reputable if her friendship with Aleister Crowley's anything to go by!  It's a pity the author of that article didn't post a picture of her since she was obviously very striking.  I wouldn't mind finding a few femme fatale poets in my own family and that story about Dylan Thomas is hilarious.  Lovely that there's an ongoing mystery with that grave. 

Marion

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
I think I should have said "interesting" in quotes!!

I think the other Jarman grave mentioned in the article - a Francis Jarman - may be her brother Frank Richmond Jarman, but I'd need to do a bit more digging on that one. I hadn't noticed that grave in my wandering.

I wonder what made Isaac's son Job turn out so very differently from my branch? He had a very unfortunate start -his father seems to have ditched his mother and the boy and set up home elsewhere. He comes from a line of ag labs and 'ordinary people'. Yet his branch has produced poets, artists and architects. And great beauties. And mine didn't!!

Once again, thank you.
Lesley

Offline kelada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 09 10:45 BST (UK) »
Job Jarman

I believe the Jarmans at Richmond may be the Leicester Jarmans:-

1891 Census: Leicestershire
Job Jarman   36
Sarah Jarman    37
Job Jarman   12 (born 1879)
Ethel Jarman   9
AMB Jarman   5
Seymour Jarman   3

Note that young Job Jarman had a brother named Seymour.
The Job Jarman in Richmond had a son named Archibald Seymour.

I have covered several of them here:-

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?GSfn=&GSln=jarman&page=gsr&GSmid=47019579

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 August 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelada

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is definitely the same family. I did some research on them a few years ago, but only for a couple of generations - I hadn't realised what an interesting branch they were. The Job you found was the only child of Isaac's first marriage to Elizabeth Ward. Isaac then moved in with another woman and her children, but they don't seem to have had any children from that marriage.

Oddly enough I was just thinking about the family when I watched the recent episode of Who do you think you are? I seem to remember Elizabeth had several stillbirths or babies dying in infancy (but I need to check this again against the National Burial Index). I wondered if this was the congenital syphilis mentioned in the programme. I decided to look for a death certificate - so spookily again, you just reminded me!

This has been quite an interesting experience - I came across the gravestone quite unexpectedly and didn't think for a minute it could be my family, though I did photograph it. Then Marion sent the information that made me think again, and now you've reminded me about those dead babies, so I think I'll definitely have to go back and look again at them. I'll also be glad to look at your website, which sounds very interesting.
Lesley

Offline kelada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
One further point

At one time, Wrenne Jarman shared her home with, and travelled with, an Elizabeth Jarman, about five years her junior. I do not know if this was a sister or a member of the Leicester Jarmans.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kelada

Do you have a dob or any other info about Elizabeth? It would be very interesting if I found there was evidence of contact between the two branches.

Lesley

Offline kelada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Lesley
The only useful information I have about Elizabeth is that her name was apparently Elizabeth S. Jarman. There was a Leicester Elizabeth M. Jarman, born the same year - 1911. It wiould be interesting to find out about Francis and Joan, who lived at Queen's Road Richmond. You will have seen Joan's memorial to the left of Job's. There was a well-known author named Francis Jarman. I hope to visit the Richmond history centre in the near future - perhaps some information will turn up there.
Kelvin.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 August 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again - realised too late you'd already said Elizabeth was 5 years younger than Wrenne - ie born c1900. I can't find her on my tree, and wonder if she was the widow of one of the Jarman men. So any extra info you have would be gratefully received.
Thanks again Kelada
Lesley