Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Making slow progress  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED** Making slow progress
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Please yet again I ask for help with translation from 1896 book w j davies -  attempting translation on the family I'm tracing - set out in bold but it's taking a long time  :-[  ::)

Dafydd, Parch. Sion 1723 – 1805

Gweinidog y Bedyddwyr. Mab ydoedd I Dafydd Thomas William, Llangeler hwn a’r frawd Rhys,a ddygasant yr areithfa o Dy-dan-yr-allti Benybont, Llandyssul.

He was a Baptist Minister. The son of William Thomas David, Llangeler this brother/judgement Rhys, pulpit/platform

Priododd a Mary John Thomas William yr hon oedo y cyn taf a fedyddiwyd ym Mhenybont, Llandysul yr hyn gymerodd ie Awst 3ydd 1745.

He married Mary John Thomas Williams. Baptised Mhenybont Llandysul married  3rd August, 1745.

Bu yn bregethwr cynorthwyol abn ugeiniau o flynddau a theithiodd lawer trwyn nde a Gogled Cymru. I bregethus, fel yr oedd ei enw yn adnabyddus iawn trwy y Dywysogaeth.

He was a preacher in his twenties he journeyed much North Wales. He preached ,  right through the Principality.

Bu farw yn 1805 83 mlwydd oed. Efe a’i wrdig oeddynt dadcu a mamgu i’r Parch. John Jones, Gweinidog Ebenezer, Llandysul.

He died in 1805 at 83 years of age. grandfather and grandmother.
Rev. John Jones , Minister Ebenezer Llandysul.

A huge thanks :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hazel17

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I will translate Welsh to English on request.
    • View Profile
Re: Making slow progress - translations!!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Are you wanting your translation corrected?

I would say the name was Dafydd Thomas William (no need to change order. )with brother Rhys  (possible taught/preached from Ty-dan-yr-allt, Benybont Llandysul. )

Mary was the first to be baptised in Penybont, Llandysul which happened on 3rd August 1745.

He was an assistant preacher for some decades and he travelled much through South and North Wales. He preached so that his name was recognisable throughout the Principality.

He died in 1805 at 83 years of age. Him and his wife were grandfather and grandmother to the Rev, John Jones, Minister of Ebenezer, Llandysul.

Welsh written in an older style isn't easy to translate but it is only the top sentence I am uncertain of.
Rolph/Bird/Hilliard Writtle & Highwood Essex
Lister/Fitch/Kitteridge/Coote  Ashdon Essex
Coote Castle Camps Essex
Jones Kirby le Soken Essex
Kinch London/Swanbourne Bucks/Oxon
Burt Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset
Smith/Bant  Birmingham
Weatherill London/York
Hill/Habershon Sheffield
Roberts - London
Stringer - Leicester
Frost Castleton Derbys
Hall Wirksworth Derby
Allcock/Parkes Calton, Staffs
Meisenheimer Germany
Crossley/Adams Hidcote, Gloucs
R(o)ycroft Brown Malpas
Pratley BurfordOx

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel17

Thanks for your reply would appreciate any corrections to my rough attempt.

Was Mary married to Sion Dafydd or Dafydd Thomas William? Can you tell who were grandfather & grandmother of John Jones ?

Getting more complicated as his father's surname was not JONES  :-\

Not attempted the translation about John Jones as there's lots of it  ??? below a snippet if it helps

Jones Parch. John 1780 - 1856

Ganwyd John Jones yn Nglenderi, pwlf Llangeler, swydd Gaerfryddin Awst 9fed 1780. Adnabyddid ei dad wrth yr nwr Enoch Sion Dafydd. Yr oedd Sion Dafydd wedi bod yn ffyddlawn i bregethu yr efengyl dros hanner can mlynedd; efe a'i wraig oeddynt y cyntaf i sefyll dros achos y Bedyddwyr yn LLandysul. Mari Sion Dafydd oedd y cyntaf a fedyddiwyd yn y gymdogaeth hon.

Appreciate any help  :)

Offline Hazel17

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I will translate Welsh to English on request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Mary was married to Sion Dafydd - they were John Jones' grandparents. Maybe the Jones comes in as a daughter of Mary and Sion marries a Jones and John is their son?

Rev John Jones 1780 - 1856

John Jones was born in Glenderi, Llangeler parish, Carmarthen county 9th August 1780.

Is 'yr nwr Enoch' copied correctly as it doesn't quite make sense to me? It could be  his father was known by the name Enoch Sion Dafydd.

Sion Dafydd had been faithful to preaching the gospel over 50 years; him and his wife were the first to stand for the cause of Baptists in Llandysul. Mari Sion Dafydd was the first to be baptised in this neighbourhood.

It isn't always clear to be exactly who is being referred to where. Maybe it makes more sense as a whole text.
Rolph/Bird/Hilliard Writtle & Highwood Essex
Lister/Fitch/Kitteridge/Coote  Ashdon Essex
Coote Castle Camps Essex
Jones Kirby le Soken Essex
Kinch London/Swanbourne Bucks/Oxon
Burt Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset
Smith/Bant  Birmingham
Weatherill London/York
Hill/Habershon Sheffield
Roberts - London
Stringer - Leicester
Frost Castleton Derbys
Hall Wirksworth Derby
Allcock/Parkes Calton, Staffs
Meisenheimer Germany
Crossley/Adams Hidcote, Gloucs
R(o)ycroft Brown Malpas
Pratley BurfordOx

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Completed Re: Making slow progress - translations!!!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel17,

Thank you - much appreciated

Ladyhawk  :)