Author Topic: The Letter "P" on gravestones.  (Read 6892 times)

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Letter "P" on gravestones.
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
in my local cemetery , a lot of the earlier gravestones have the letter "P" on the bottom front.
this is accompanied by a number.
the number obviously is the number of the grave (in the row) , but the letter isn't the section or the row letter .
the only thing i can come up with is possibly the grave was pre-purchased and the base stone was erected before the grave was buried in , or possibly it could mean "perpetuity".
Any ideas anybody > thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Letter "P" on gravestones.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
could it be 'plot' ?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
cheers Heywood - i've worked in cemeteries for nearly 20 years and i haven't thought of that  :-[. could well be you know.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
I hope so... and welcome to Rootschat - sorry didn't realise that it's early days for you  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 21:17 BST (UK) »
at first i thought its obvious its for pauper but then of course if they were poor they wouldnt have a headstone
so i tend to think it is the stone masons mark, every stone mason has one a litttle mark on their piece of work to identify who did it,
are the gravestones around the same time era? could they be made by the same stone mason?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello diggaman,

and welcome to RootsChat from me too.

There is a Christian symbol called the Chi-Rho. It looks like a P with and x through the downstroke.

see this:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06cl/

genie
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
thank you for the welcome folks  :)
geniecolgan: no , its definately a "p" - altho i had a look at the link - interesting stuff.

it's sometimes quite funny , cos when i'm locating a grave for somebody , when they notice these "p's" a lot of them think it's row p on a section , and some of em take some convincing thats its not !
always wondered about it tho , as i say i've worked in cemeteries a good while and nobody in the cemeteries team seems to know what it stands for.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
    • 1066 Genealogy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Interesting thread!

My experience of Stonemasons marks are that they are usually on the back of the stone - i.e. the opposite side to the Inscription.

The P with a number I have found usually refers to the plot number as was suggested earlier - have you chatted with any 'local' stonemasons to verify this; or is there a plan of the churchyard that could show the burial plots.
Also, do the numbers run in any kind of sequence also indicating that they were plot numbers

Just a few thoughts

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land.      www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings
Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com and
                                            www.swarbrooke.com
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com
NEW - Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
NEW - Local History site: http://Baldslow.com
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline diggerman2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
thanks for your comments.
the more i think about it , the more it makes sense that it IS the plot number.

The number is always correct on it , and instead of it having the section letter , or row letter , it just has a "P".
for example - if the grave number is say "D 45C" (section D , row C , number 45) ,  it would have "P 45" on it.

it only applies in the old area's of the cemetery , the modern day memorials have the correct grave numbers on them .