Author Topic: Coughlan from Cregg, Co. Tipperary  (Read 2998 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coughlan from Cregg, Co. Tipperary
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Searching for the Coughlan family from Cregg and area. Earliest ancestor was James Coughlan born c. 1800; emigrated to Canada pre 1845. Married in Canada.

Offline AISLINN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Coughlan from Cregg, Co. Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 09 13:57 BST (UK) »

]There is an area called   Cregg,    (parish of St. Nicholas)  in Carrick-on-Suir,  Co. Tipperary

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
And there is a James Coughlan b1794 in Carrick on Suir RC Parish.
http://tipperarysouth.brsgenealogy.com/
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
The Irish Times take on Cregg is at this link

It is part of Newtownlennan civil parish. note that is not the same as a RC parish.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you- this is a good start as I had absolutely nothing on this parish/person until now. More work to be done.
Regards,
lanar

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 16 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Is there a townland in Tipperary that sounds like Gregg instead of Cregg? (I can't find a Gregg). The death certificate in 1885 for James Coughlan says he was born in Gregg, Co. Tipperary. We always thought he was from Co. Cork.  ???

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 16 08:47 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Tipperary

Link gives list of townlands of County Tipperary.   There are several "Graigue" townlands.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I have been going through the online R. Catholic Parish records at the National Library website and have had more luck with Coughlans in Carrick on Suir, Tipperary (which is close to Cregg) than any parishes containing the various Graigue townlands.

Cannot find the 1794 baptism of James in Carrick on Suir in the parish records. But that may now be irrelevant as the Canadian census listings give James a birth year closer to 1810-1811. I did find a close match in March 1808 in Carrick on Suir for a "Jacobus Coughlan" and then a Cornelius Coughlan in Dec. 1809 to the same parents. In Canada, James had 3 sons- James, Cornelius and George.

The 1885 death certificate in Canada for James Coughlan gave his age as 86 which, I believe, is now wrong.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
Update: from the parish records, ordnance survey maps and civil registrations all now online, I believe that my Coughlans originated from Cregg, Newtownlennon, Carrick on Suir.

James Coughlan born March 1808 and then his brother Cornelius born Dec. 1809 to John Coughlan and Honora Organ. I then find a baptism for a John Coughlan in 1814 to John C. and Honora ORMOND; also in Carrick on Suir parish. (It is spelled clearly as Ormond- could this be Honora ORGAN?)

Cornelius Coughlan died in 1896, age 85 from Cregg. I have his marriage to Alicia Aylward in 1845. His name is wrote on the Griffiths Valuation maps near Cregg but the entry shows John Coughlan there in 1850/51 Griffiths V. (the father, I presume).
In the Carrick on Suir parish register is a George Coughlan marriage in 1835 (cannot find his baptism, yet). And James Coughlan in 1828 married to Maria Ryan.

Summary- James and Cornelius appear to be brothers with another brother named George possibly in the mix. James emigrated to Canada circa 1845. His first wife seems to have died and he remarried in Canada circa 1850 and had three sons- James, Cornelius and George (named after his brothers, I'm sure). His father- John- stayed on the farm which eventually was left to the other brother Cornelius.

There also appears to be a Coughlan family across the river from Cregg in Whitechurch, Co. Kilkenny. Anyone have connections to that family?

A few questions mixed within this dialogue- can anyone give some advice?