Author Topic: Marshall & Sons Gainsborough  (Read 14167 times)

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
  • Jacky Clark (nee Jacqueline Allen)
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall & Sons Gainsborough
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 May 09 22:33 BST (UK) »
I visited the site yesterday evening and have posted off a link to my young friend. I am really looking forward to my visit in June.

I see from Census figures that Gainsborough had a declining population between 1841 - 1861 and virtually trebled between 1861 and 1901 Marshalls and the ancillary industries had huge impact on the town.

Best regards

Jacky 

My Maternal line are all from Lincolnshire - First Generations include:
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Very true, large parts of the Trinity Street area were built to house the rising population, terraced houses with alleys at the back in many cases (as in my avatar).

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
linklincs,

Are you aware that this company invented the portable threshing machine which was exhibited at many agricultural shows in the 19th century, and even was exported to India.

Much of the news is on 19th century British Newspapers.

This same resource lists a marriage:

Monday, July 7, 1873, Mr. S H Barratt of Willingham to Charlotte daughter of Mr. J. F. Marshall of Gainsborough, July 2nd.

Try it by joining Lancashire libraries online.

Tom

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I will cerainly take a look

J
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
They also made tea machinery according to The Times Online also available at that source, free of charge.

Tom

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi linclinks,
Some interesting info and pics on this site. Several pages to view via the "next" button.
http://www.gainsboroughlincs.co.uk/marshalls.htm

maidmarion :)

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - I am building up quite a collection for my young contact.

I am going to Gainsborough on Friday to take a look round and then a few days research - hoping for some sunny days so that I can take some pics. I am going to stay in a B&B in North Kyme - near to where many of my ancestors come from.

Best regards

Jacky

Offline flymeplease

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
I have the Marshall family tree, but its not complete if any body else has the missing bits I would like a copy  Thanks
I am a descendant of the Marshall family

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay - just back from three glorious weeks in Northern Spain. Most of my data is on Rootsweb (link to the left) but I must admit I have not yet finished typing up wills etc transcribed when I last went to Lincoln.

Best regards,

Jacky