Author Topic: Coogan/Cooghan Family Castleblaney  (Read 3749 times)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Coogan/Cooghan Family Castleblaney
« on: Thursday 21 May 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone over in Co Monaghan (or local to the archives in Dublin) who would be able to check the following query for me?

My Gtx4 Grandmother was born between 1794 & 1800 at Castleblaney, Co. Monaghan, Ireland. Unfortunately her age fluctuates wildly on the census but her death certificate gives an age at death as 75 in 1869 - giving an approx. birth year of 1794.

Her name was Catherine COGHAN (also seen spelled as COOGHAN, COOGAN & COGAN - she also used COOK as a surname!!).

She may also have had a brother called Patrick COOGAN who was born in Castleblaney c1798 - possibly Mucknoe. He died in New York, USA c1848.

I believe there are several transcriptions of the local graveyard/memorials & I wondered if there was any mention contained in these transcripts of a COOGAN (or variations therof) that may help me trace her parents or any other siblings/relatives?

FYI - from what we can gather, Catherine Coogan must have moved to England c1820 (London/Greenwich or Southampton/Portsmouth area) but I suspect she may have had other siblings that also moved to Scotland (Glasgow) or emigrated to the USA, Canada & possibly Australasia.

Any suggestions as to how I may be able to research back further would also be welcomed.  :-[

If anyone can help with the above query, it would be very much appreciated.  :)
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cooganai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coogan/Cooghan Family Castleblaney
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm intrigued by your Catherine Coogan connection. My gggrandfather Terrence Coogan's family was from the Lake Muckno /Armagh border area in Ireland, then went with some of his family to Scotland before eventually immigrating to the US. His mother's name was Catherine was was his sister's.  There are also many Patrick's in the family. Terrence was born around 1822 and married an Elizabeth Lynch whose family was from Lake Muckno.

I would love to know more about your Catherine Coogan. Who did she marry? Do you know her parents names? Where in New York did she die? Terrence Coogan and his brother Hugh went from Ireland to Scotland to Kingston, New York before heading out further west.

Terrence's sister Catherine married and died in Scotland, but it seems like your Catherine could definitely have been related to ours.

Hoping to hear from you, I realize this post is a few years old.