Author Topic: Family History  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Alice57

• I am sorry but my email address is not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family History
« on: Thursday 21 May 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Greetings and Good morning, all!

I'm currently researching and compiling my humungous family tree and am in need of your invaluable assistance!   :)

I'm looking for any information concerning my Great-Great-Great Grandfather John Gibson, who was born 1814 - in Ardmore, Co. Cavan, Ireland...family information (parents, siblings, etc.), and when he immigrated to Canada.  I'm also looking for information concerning his wife, my Great-Great-Great Grandmother Nancy Lowery...she was born 6 Apr 1824 in Killyleagh, Down Co., Ireland, but immigrated to Canada when she was seven years of age (abt 1831)...parents, siblings, etc.   They were married circa 1843 in Ontario, Canada...John passed away 13 Nov. 1878 in Orono, Clarke Twp., Ontario, Canada.  Nancy passed away 7 Oct. 1909 also in Orono, Clarke Twp., Ontario, Canada.

If anyone has any information concerning John and Nancy, it would greatly appreciated!  Pictures would be lovely, too, if available!  Many, many thanks in advance!   :)

Kind regards,
Tammy Gilmer
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Gilmer, Samis, Barraball, Bellamy, Wood, Woodward, Gibson, Lowery, Ramsey, Lovell, Gully, Buckley, Johns, Forsyth, Ovens, Irwin.

Online oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family History
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Tammy, and welcome to Rootschat!

You have come to a great site, full of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people  ;D ;D ;D

You might want to look at the Cavan board and post your Irish query there -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,54.0.html

...and for any queries about Canada, you could post on the Canada board -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Best wishes, and Good Luck!!  :D

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Alice57

• I am sorry but my email address is not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Judy!   :)

Thank you so much for supplying me with those addresses...will give them a try and see what information they generate!  Will keep you posted!

Take care and have a great day!   :)

Kind regards,
Tammy   :D
Gilmer, Samis, Barraball, Bellamy, Wood, Woodward, Gibson, Lowery, Ramsey, Lovell, Gully, Buckley, Johns, Forsyth, Ovens, Irwin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I'm going to move this thread to the Canada board for assistance so if you have any further details please post them. For example, have you checked marriage records, gravestone inscriptions, newspaper obituaries, etc. for any other clues regarding the Irish origins of John and Nancy? if Nancy came to Canada with her parents and siblings it would be worthwhile tracing them for further clues.
Until you've exhausted all Canadian sources I suggest you don't post on the Irish boards. To search for family in Ireland you need to know both their religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland) and even with those facts it's possible that church records for early 1800s don't survive.
Since you have a place of birth for Nancy Lowery (Killyleagh, Co. Down) you might want to look at this Co. Down website when you have more details on her family:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/L/LoweryLowry.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:22 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Tammy.  Welcome to RootsChat.

I was going to see if I could find anything for you (in Canada) and as I was rereading your post, I noticed you have Ovens ancestors.  I also have Ovens ancestors.

So that we don't "clutter up" this thread, I have sent you a private message.  If you would be interested in comparing our Ovens families, I would be happy to share what I have by private message.

Ok, I'm off to see if I can find anything about your Gibsons.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
There is probably no connection, but mentioning it anyway:
http://www.ingeneas.com/ingeneas/index.html
Has a David Lowery, age 15, immigrating in 1833.  No one else with that spelling arrived in the same time frame.  There is a fee to order the record, so this could probably be used as a last resort.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:44 BST (UK) »
As Aghadowey mentioned, it would be helpful to let us know where you have searched.  Also, have you tried googling the family names and key words like Ontario, Orono, etc.?  I've found quite a bit about my ancestors with this approach.

You perhaps know about this site:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/
You might be able to find some earlier records.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
[See update, below]
I found a record, but there isn't much detail, so there really isn't a way to determine if it could be your Lowery's:
Passenger & Immigration Index:
John Lowery
Year: 1830
Place: Canada
Family Members: Wife Nancy Sreed; with family
[There are three records: John Lowery, Nancy Sreed Lowery and Nancy Lowery]
Source Publication Code is 5001.51
The source bibliography is McKenzie, Donald A.  Death notices from The Christian Guardian, 1851-1860.  Lambertville, New Jersey: Hunterdon House, 1984, page 173

UPDATE:  Not your Lowerys, sorry for the false hope.  These Lowerys were from County Antrim.
http://www.empey.ca/Lynne/Matilda/Cemeteries/sdixons.htm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Do not see Nancy Lowery arriving in America.  There are quite a few results for the name John Gibson.

I do not have access to Canadian immigration records.  A few of my ancestors arrived in America and settled in Ontario, which is why I checked American records.