Author Topic: Need help to decipher old handwriting in will  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to decipher old handwriting in will
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 May 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
Something else to deal with come the revolution! We all know where the profit motive has got us. As the Romans said "Tolle divitem!"
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
said annual cost or yearly Sum of fifteen pounds and all arrears thereof and all costs, charges and expenses relating to or attending t[he] recovery or obtaining payment of the same.  And as to for and concerning all the last mentioned Messuages Lands Tenements and Hereditaments subject to and charged and chargeable with the said yearly rent or annual sum of fifteen pounds and the power or recovery hereuntofore mentioned for recovery or obtaining payment thereof I give and devise the same to the use of my said son Thomas Mendus and my two daughters Charlotte Davies the wife of David Davies Diana Jones the wife of Edward Jones for and during the term of their natural lives and the life of the survivor of them and from and after their several deceases and the decease of the survivor of them I give and devise the same to the heirs and assigns of my said son Thomas Mendus [to me it looks like Mondus always]
for ever Subject to all my just debts to be immediately paid out of the produce of the said last mentioned promises by my said Son Thomas and my said daughters Charlotte and Diana in exoneration of my personal Estate.  I give and bequeath unto my said son Thomas Mendus and my three daughters Charlotte Davies Diana Jones and Mary Nicholas the wife of Thomas Nicholas the sum of Four hundred pounds and upwards...to use by Mortgage on the Wesleyan Chapel  in St Mary's acre in the City of London share and share alike  And I give and bequeath all my household furniture unto my said wife Mary Mendus and my said grandson Thomas Mandus share and share alike And I so nominate constitute and appoint my said wife Mary sole EXECUTRIX and residuary...
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Graham, I can do them sometimes, but need a hard copy.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
And finally ...

Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help, it really is greatly appreciated and I dont know what I would have done without you all.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
Legatee of this my said will hereby revoking all former will or wills by me at any time or times hereuntofore made and declaring this to be my last will and testament In witness whereof I the said Thomas Mendus to this my last will and Testament have thereunto set my hand and seal this twentyseventh day of April in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundered and twenty six ______Thomas Mendus [   ]_____ Signed sealed published and declared by the said Thomas Mendus as and for his last will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence who in his presence and in the presence of each other at his request have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto/___/ Evan Davies of Cardigan Atty /_____/Thos. Charles of Cardigan Atty [Attourney] Dvd Harries Writer to Mr Davies.

PROVED at London the Said 1832 before the Judge by the oath of Mary Mendus widow the reliict the sole Executrix to whom Admon [Administration] was granted having been first sworn by Commons duly to administer
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Well done, Graham and everyone else. At the very least, I've learned an awful lot about what's allowable and what's not - thanks for the pointers, Moderator.

All you have to do now, Sanmiles, is cut and paste everything together.

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
A very strange script for the early 19th century! Those I've dealt with have appeared modern, just a few obscure or archaic words to deal with! With the older wills I use a standard form for the probate grant, there are minor variations, but the gist is always the same, and it saves transcription time.

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thank you all so much...

I just have one last question... Where it says that the will was "Proved" does that mean that they had passed and the will was used/viewed on that date? Or does "Proved" mean that it was approved?