Author Topic: Freddy Horsfall m Isabella Williams, 1919  (Read 1503 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Freddy Horsfall m Isabella Williams, 1919
« on: Saturday 23 May 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
[Also posted on the Berkshire board]
Looking for any information on my paternal grandmother’s brother, Freddy Horsfall (b. 1888, from 1907 a gunner in the Royal Marine Artillery), who married in Portsmouth (Feb 1919) Isabella Williams (or Constance Isabella Williams). Freddy remained in the Marines for some years after the marriage. It is possible that the couple stayed based in Portsmouth – although on his service record there is an undated change to his ‘next of kin’: ‘Wife – School House, Forest Road, Wokingham’. I would like to find out whether the couple had children – but any information would be welcome
Ian

Offline Grampy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freddy Horsfall m Isabella Williams, 1919
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 17 14:00 GMT (UK) »
My great aunt Isabella Williams was born in1879 but as yet I have no other information

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, and I shall certainly be interested in anything you discover about your great aunt. Freddy Horsfall, who married Isabella Williams was my great uncle (my father's mother's brother) I didn't do an extensive census search for the Williams family, but I thought it most likely that this was Isabella and her mother in the 1911 census
WILLIAMS, SARAH JANE HEAD WIDOW  F 54 CHARWOMAN AT SEA 
WILLIAMS, CONSTANCE ISABELLA DAUGHTER SINGLE  F 23 SHOP ASSISTANT GROCERY HAMPSHIRE PORTSMOUTH 

Address 16 VICTORY ROAD PORTSEA  Hampshire

WILLIAMS, SARAH JANE HEAD, WIDOW,  F 54 CHARWOMAN AT SEA  (Isabella's mother)
WILLIAMS, CONSTANCE ISABELLA, DAUGHTER, SINGLE,  F 23 SHOP ASSISTANT GROCERY born PORTSMOUTH 

When Freddy was discharged from the Royal Marine Artillery in 1941 his address was 38 Wimbourne Road, Southsea. I think he and Isabella remained for some time at that address, as I have a photograph with the address pencilled on the reverse. The photo shows Freddy with a dog. Freddy is sitting in a deck chair by a greenhouse. I'd be grateful for any additional information about Freddy and Isabella which you may come across. Likewise, I shall post any future findings in this thread. I have not yet found any record of Freddy's (or Isabella's) death.

Offline Grampy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have found that my Isabella Williams Born 1879 was married to William Doyle in 1909. There are lots of Williams' in the Portsmouth area. Mine started with James Workman Williams born 1810. He was an only child, married Harriet Burne and they had eight children. Some of those married and had lots of children. Maybe that will be helpful if your Isabella was born in the Portsmouth area.