Author Topic: Stevenson Murdoch Watson  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Maggie J Ingram

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Stevenson Murdoch Watson
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching the family history of John Stevenson (Steinson) b.1791 in Boyndie, married to Anne Murdoch b. 1795 in Alvah, daughter of Alexander Murdoch and Ann Greenlaw.  Also their son James Stevenson b. 1825 in Rettie, Boyndie, married to Ann Watson b. 1819 in Fordyce, daughter of James Watson and Isabella Gray of Ordiquhill.

Thanks,

Maggie

Offline Avonlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson Murdoch Watson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

I am researching the Stevenson family, my family line comes from William (James brother) born 1832.  Do you have any information on John's parents George Stevenson and Elizabeth Paterson?  John born 1791 is my Great, Great, Great Grandfather.  I can't find any birth record for him.

Janice...
Stevenson (Banff), Barnett (Monymusk), Webster (Old Meldrum)

Offline Maggie J Ingram

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Good to hear from you and to know that we have a connection!  I have a few photographs of your ancestor William Stevenson, which I can forward to you.  My email is: (*)  I also have George's baptism record - his parents were William Steinson and Margaret Scot.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
Maggie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Avonlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

Thank you for responding so soon.  Now I know why I could find nothing further back than William.  I had no idea about the change of surname.  I will write to you via my email address which is (*)
Regards,

Janice...

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Stevenson (Banff), Barnett (Monymusk), Webster (Old Meldrum)

Offline dchass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Stevenson of Fordyce
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I am rather late to this thread.
I am researching William Stevenson/Steinson b c1770 stone mason/farmer of Fordyce who married Jean Bremner in 1788. They had a large family including William b1793 my direct ancestor who married 1) Margaret Brodie and 2) Ann Reid.
Is any one researching this line?

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Nice to see so many Stevenson/Steinson links in one post from around Fordyce and Boyndie which raises my interest as I have been into some of the many family lines from that area.  Stevenson at Smiddboyne near Portsoy is one line and another was at Craigiebrae, Marnoch which are of direct interest to me.  I will have a look to see if our lines cross along the way as that would be of considerable interest.  A fair number of different Stevensons family lines are buried at the Marnoch Cemetary and NOT all of them are recorded in the Aberdeen Family History Society booklet for one reason or another but what is there is "GOOD".

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers.
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I have Alexander Stevenson the Blacksmith at Culvie, Marnoch b. 6 July 1828 (IGI) with a Headstone in Marnoch d. 3 April 1896 (70Yrs) who I reckon was son of John Stevenson, Boyndie and Ann Murdoch.  The headstone records his wife as Isabella Moir perhaps born about 1826 at Keith.

I also have William Stevenson and Ann Reid at Knockdurn on B9022 road to Portsoy with family born 1833 to 1843 but I am not sure that I have the Ann Reid that you mention.  I am just trying to link the various Stevenson threads back the way in time so your knowledge of your Stevenson line would be appreciated.

One of the Stevenson lines I am following was in about Culvie so you can see why I was looking at the Blacksmith.  The other one is in around Durn, Smiddyboyne and Auchmore which explains Knockdurn interest.

Many thanks,  nw_whiskers.

Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline dchass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Stevenson of Fordyce
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 March 15 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I am researching William Stevenson/Steinson b c1770 stone mason/farmer of Fordyce who married Jean Bremner in 1788. They had a large family including William b1793 my direct ancestor who married 1) Margaret Brodie and 2) Ann Reid.
Is any one researching this line?

Following some professional research commissioned in Banff, some of my earlier post has proven to be sightly incorrect.
My William Stevenson, forest labourer, was b c1786 (not 1793) in Rathven, Banffshire and married Margaret Brodie in Rathven but did not marry Ann Reid. William's father was James Stevenson b c 1760 who married Janet Ewing.
Is any one researching these Stevensons/Steinsons?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 March 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
A fair number of different Stevensons family lines are buried at the Marnoch Cemetery and NOT all of them are recorded in the Aberdeen Family History Society booklet

If you are referring to the burial records, it's not surprising that some people buried there are not in the booklet, because the booklet records gravestone inscriptions and not everyone has a stone.

If you mean that there are unrecorded gravestones there, have you told the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society about them?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.