Author Topic: Jane Williams mid 19thC  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Ceidwad Goleudy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Williams mid 19thC
« on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to research the family of my great great grandmother. I have already mentioned Jane Williams' husband on here under an ASTON article in 'one name studies.'

Jane Williams was born about 1831 in Merthyr, Glamorgan. On the 13th May 1855 at Llanhilleth Parish Church, Monmouthshire Jane Williams married Joseph Aston a forge agent.

In 1864 whilst Joseph was the Inn Keeper of the Railway Inn at Trevethin, Pontnewyndd, Monmouthshire he died leaving Jane a widow with 5 children, Elizabeth, Joseph, William Henry, Mary Jane and Ann Maria who I have already mentioned in the Aston article.

In the spring of 1866 Jane Williams went on to marry in Monmouthshire a William Burland who was born in Bristol about 1833. They had 3 children, Edward Burland born about 1866, Thomas born about 1868 and Mary born about 1870. All the children were born in Trevethin, Pontnewyndd, Monmouthshire. Jane Burland died in Monmouthshire during the Oct to Dec period of 1872.

The only extra piece of information I have on Jane Williams is from the copy of her marriage certificate with Joseph Aston. Jane lists her father as a Henry Williams and his profession was noted as a miner.

Since then I have drawn a blank and I would be interested to hear from anyone else whose family tree interconnects with mine and have researched this Williams family.

Regards,

Goleudy
Armstrong - Broseley, Shropshire

Aston - Broseley, Shropshire
            Ystrad Rhondda, Glamorgan
            Pontnewyndd, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
            Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

Bebb - Treorchy, Glamorgan
           Tredegar, Monmouthshire
           Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire

Davies - Roch, Haverfordwest,
              Lambston and
              Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire

Offline jocasta shakespear

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Williams mid 19thC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I read with great interest your notes on South Wales coal mining.  I'm a journalist, writing a children's book based in a mine in South Wales.  My mother's family comes from Cwmaman, near Aberdare where my grandfather was a doctor.  I totally understand what you mean by an "English disposition" and chuckled at the humour of the words.  My book is about a boy who goes down the pit in 1911 to work with his father.  His experiences make him turn against the wealthy pit owner and the life he has been born into.  His father is a blacksmith in the mine, who dies of pneumoconiosis. 
I'd relish any more info from you or direction towards other research in this field. 
My account may not be exactly true to the reality of the times.  Were your ancestors mine workers? 

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Your story reminds me of the tensions that arose within my own family who lived in North Wales when to my Grandfathers horror his sister went and married the local colliery manager.The tension was quite deep felt,my Grandfather would not go to his sister's funeral in 1932.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
I am  researching the history of Cwmaman and just joined the site. Did you publish your book would be interested if you have further ideas.  jbds

Offline jdhtyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking at Sarah Aston / Poulsom / Pitt Birth Apr 1854 in Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales
She is possibly Jane Williams step daughter.

Rather than double post I have put some info on this subject
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354290.0.html

Interesting to note is her son (I think it is mentioned here)
Joseph Aston Birth abt 1857 in Pontnewynydd
Death Mar 1940 in Warrington, Lancashire, England

His Baptism late in life at age 36y is in the Lancashire OPC database and matches  Sarah's marriage record regarding the father.

all the best
J&L

Offline antwnsaint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi J&L,

I'm descended from Joseph Aston (junior), via his daughter Sarah Jane, who was born in Haydock, and he was in fact baptized twice, as you say in his thirties, but also in Wales.  Unfortunately, I'm at work at present and all my data is at home, including a photograph of Joseph and his wife Jane (nee Harrison) in his later years, if you're interested.  He's buried at St. James' graveyard, Haydock with his wife; no headstone.  (According to the 1939 Register he was living in the Harold Edwardson household, in Haydock, Warrington District.)  Joseph Aston (senior) married twice apparently, I have heard from someone in America who claims that his first wife Ann didn't actually die in Wales but went to the US with their children.

Tony
Aston: Monmouthshire, Haydock, Broseley
Walker: Flintshire, Anglesey, Lancaster
Manchester: Lancashire
O'Neill: Ireland
Harrison: Warrington, Earlestown
McHale: Scotland, Manchester