Author Topic: Drownings in River Fleet  (Read 4068 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drownings in River Fleet
« on: Sunday 24 May 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
Can anybody advise who I can write to regarding TWO accidental drownings in the River Fleet at Anworth/Gatehouse in Kirkcudbrightshire.

I am researching my Scottish links - my great grandmother came from Anwoth to live in Lancashire.
Her younger sister Frances Hewitson drowned in the River in 26 April 1884 at the age of 2/1.2 years
but over this weekend I have discovered her Uncle Hugh Hewitson died as a result of accidental drowning  - and the certificate reads "Bridge over River Fleet at Anwoth"  Accidental drowning.
He died on 25 July 1880.   

I am  hoping there is a newspaper report on the two drownings which I would love to read about.

If anybody has any information on the Hewitson family - they lived on Fleet Street - also on census lived Crown and Thistle  -Anwoth.

Thanks  Michele

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drownings in River Fleet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Michele
It was the name Hewitson which caught my eye. My partners family are Hewitsons from Balmaclellan, KBT and I wondered if there is any connection.

I managed to find an article in the Wigtown Free Press on 29/07/1880 Page 4 Column F about the death of Hugh Hewitson.

Hugh Hewitson aged 24, employed by T & W Holme, woolmerchants, was found drowned on Monday morning in a pool near where the bridge crosses the river Fleet at Fleet Street, Gatehouse. He was last seen alive on Sunday morning about one o'clock near the Free Church. It is supposed that he sat on the parapet of the bridge, fell asleep, overbalanced and fell into the river underneath, meeting an untimely end.

On Francis Hewitson there are two articles in the Dumfries and Galloway Standard, although she is not named.

The first is on 5/04/1884 Page 4 Column D
On Monday afternoon the alarm was raised about a little girl, aged about 3, who had gone missing. She is the daughter of John Hewitson, woodcutter of Boatgreen, Gatehouse. A search was made without success. It is believed that the child had fallen into the river and been carried off by the tide. Much sympathy is felt for the parents.

The second is on 3/05/1884 page 4 Column F
the body of a little girl, daughter of John Hewitson, Boatgreen, who went missing on 31 March was discovered on the Merse side of the river, opposite the harbour, last Saturday.

Hope this is of some use to you.
Regards Lesley
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drownings in River Fleet
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Lesley  -  I have no recognition of ever seeing your reply.    I know for a long time I did not receive any replies from Ancestry and I ended up changing my ISP and buying a new laptop so not sure if your reply was in this period - and I cannot find any reply to you.

They are both mine- and I have a newspaper clipping for both of them.

Cheers Michele