Author Topic: What software  (Read 6352 times)

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What software
« on: Sunday 24 May 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering what software each of you use to restore and colour and which is the most prefered.
I use Adobe photoshop 6, basically because its the only one ive ever used other than microsoft photodraw 2000, which i cant get on with.
As you can see by my attempts at restoring and colouring, im relativly new to this, and am still experimenting.
would love to know what you restore vets use.

Ivor :o
Whitcher,Roalf,Lewis,Phillips,Parry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What software
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ivor  :)

I started doing photo restore, etc. work 15-20 years ago. My eyes give out quite often now - sore/gritty so only do 30 mins at a time.

I use a mixture - I've got Photoshop CS,  CS2 and CS3 and Paintshop Pro 7, X1 and X2 on my machines plus a few goody add-ons . They all do the basics quite adequately. It's really how they're used that is most important. The Gimp is supposed to be good as well.

Don't rely on filters, etc.  Assess the image. Adjust the tonal balance (levels/histogram/curves) first ( look at the RGB channels as well) , then clean/repair - pixel by pixel if necessary. Then do the fancy work.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ivor,

I have pretty much the same as Gadget,
Started with Paintshop then moved over to Photoshop Elements 5 and now also use CS2. All a bit dated now but still do a good job.  My preference for ease of use is Photoshop Elements, though there are some things it can't do - hence the lower price, but it does the job well for a non-professional piece of software. 

Make sure you master restoring before going onto colouring, colouring does not hide bits you've missed or thought you could get away with!  Agree with Gadget on the filters, go easy on them, and also don't use on the whole photo, just the bits that need the filter, thats a very common mistake. Play with all the tools to see what they do, you will find which ones you like to use best and check out  the tutorials on the web, there are loads of them now, especially on YouTube.

When I started to learn how to restore in 2007, I would look on here to see how others did  their restores and try to reproduce the ones I thought were good... it doesn't mean I used their style but tried to get up to the same quality of repair.  Same with colouring, you've probably noticed how different colouring styles can change a photo dramatically. Same with applying frames, its a personal preference after you have completed your work. There are one or two people who shall remain nameless on here that are infamous for their frames  ;D

If you just want to practice colouring, "borrow" some of the good restores from here and colour... but please remember to acknowledge the original restorers work as it possibly took them hours to do!

good luck and look forward to seeing how you progress  ;)
Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gadget, and thankyou Jenny,

I appreciate the help and advice,

Check out the tutorials Jenny!!, im male of the species and never look at the instructions untill its gone horribly wrong, ha ha, you should see some of the flat pack furniture ive built, im sure that setee was supposed to be a wardrobe.

Ill keep playing and hopefully ill get close to your standards one day

Ivor
Whitcher,Roalf,Lewis,Phillips,Parry

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
This is really interesting.  I've been looking at the restore boards for some time now, and have been amazed at how clever the restorers are.  It's a case of "How on earth do they do that?".  The advice given is really helpful and although it wasn't intended for me, I thank you anyway!
Regards
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PhotoRepair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Restoring photos for genertaions to come
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the GIMP GNU Image Manipulation Program. If you have not used a program before and have no knowledge of them then has to be the one, firstly its free and updated regularly and as good as photoshop!.

try http://www.gimp.org/ its great and if your not stuck in stone using another program learn this one! Forums and support and how to's, you cant go wrong.

Regards

Neil Rhodes

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Some of the restorers on here do use Gimp, but as mentioned its a matter of personal preference and Gadget and I already had some experience of the professional programs to start with.

Also I should add we give our time FREE on this board, from the more experienced to the novices, its a learning curve.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline PhotoRepair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Restoring photos for genertaions to come
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
I am currently restoring a football photo on this forum for free as we speak. I am aware that this is the way it works here, thanks for the heads up though.