Author Topic: Sarah Coates/Aston/Jackson  (Read 2368 times)

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Coates/Aston/Jackson
« on: Monday 25 May 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Looking into my Coates family from Durham again.
Trying to find out what happened to Sarah Coates born 1843 in Bishop Auckland, she married William Auston/Oyston in 1864 in Durham. Found them on 1871 census with children Emma Jane Owston (1878) & Charles (1879). Couldnt find a death for William (born abt 1833) but found a marriage for Sarah Auston/Coates to Richard Jackson in 1877 in Durham. Also found a death in 1877 for a Sarah Jackson born abt 1843 & a marriage for Richard Jackson & Elizabeth Lowther in 1881. I found Richard Jackson & Elizabeth on 1881 census with 2 daughters Mary Ann (1876)- So.Shields & Ellen (1879) - N.Shields. I am trying to find out if Mary Ann could have been Sarahs baby, Richard didnt marry Elizabeth until 1881 so couldnt be their baby, I guess years of birth could be a bit out.

Also couldnt find any of them on 1891 census....

Any help would be good......
Jan

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Coates/Aston/Jackson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

The OUSTON (or could be AUSTON,   but it's not written as OWSTON) family on the 1871 Census, in the Village of Close House, Bishop Auckland, Durham - the children births:
Emma Jane AUSTON  - Jun Qtr 1867 Auckland
Charles AUSTON - Mar Qtr 1869 Auckland

Are you aware that Emma Jane is with JACKSON 'grandparents' in 1881?

1881: Gordon Lane, Evenwood & Barony, Bishop Auckland, Durham
RG11 /  Piece: 4929 /  Folio: 90 /  Page: 28
Head: Robt JACKSON 65, Master Shifter Colliery, b Distington, Cumberland
Wife: Mary JACKSON 63, b Whitehaven, Cumberland
Son: Robert JACKSON 18, unm, Labourer, b Wigans Row, Durham
Grand-Dau: Emma J AUSTEN (AUSTIN?) 14, Scholar, b Close House, Durham

Richard JACKSON, the one you mention in 1881 - is stated as born just  "Cumberland".
RG11 /  Piece: 5017 /  Folio: 119 /  Page: 39 /

In the 1851 Census, there is Richard JACKSON age 7 b Distington, Cumberland with parents Robert 35, Mary 33 and a load of siblings - living in Durham. (will transcribe full details if you need them)
HO107 /  Piece: 2391 /  Folio: 207 /  Page: 26

Mary Ann could be a child of Elizabeth LOWTHER whom she brought with her ito the marriage  to Richard.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
Look like Charles AUSTON is with his COATES Gran & Uncle  in 1881 - and  has 2 younger AUSTON siblings

1881: Quarrington Hill, Coxhoe, Durham
RG11/ Piece: 4960 /  Folio: 48 /  Page: 25
Head: John COATES 21, unm, Coal Miner, b Gurney Villa, Durham
Mother: Jane COATES 63, widow, Housekeeper, b Pardon, Northumberland
Nephew: Charles AUSTON 14, Coal Miner, b Close House Durham (age appears to be overstated by approx 2 years)
Neice: Maria AUSTON 8, Scholar, b Close House Durham
Neice: Sarah AUSTON 6, b Close House Durham

BIRTHS:
Maria AUSTON  - Jun Qtr 1872 - Auckland
Sarah AUSTON - Mar Qtr 1874 - Auckland

So while certificates would prove, it does look like Sarah AUSTON nee COATES:
remarried : Dec Qtr 1877 to Richard JACKSON and then died same qtr & year age 34.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
This is possibly  the death entry for Sarah's first husband:

DEATH: William AUSTIN age 39, Auckland - Mar Qtr 1875.

This man would have been born abt 1836 though - Sarah's husband William AUSTON was born abt 1832/33 Reighton, Yorkshire according to the 1861 & 1871 Census' in Durham. But  the age discrepancey is not so large as to discount it being him.  Especially if his was a work related mining accident and someone other than his wife/family  informed of the death. I couldn't see anything for the above in the Durham Mining Museum.
http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm

Your William AUSTON may also have died out of the Auckland area - but I can't see anything to fit.

To me, it doesn't look like  Mary Ann JACKSON  being born in South Shields was really Sarah's daughter .
Since up until 1881, all the COATES / JACKSON/ AUSTON events for BMD and Census up to 1877 appear to be in Auckland district?

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline parf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly,

I have also found much the same as you did with Sarahs children at different places on the 1881 etc

I would realy like to find out if Mary Ann Jackson is Sarahs child or not, there are a few Mary Ann & Ellen Jacksons on freebmd for the years that they are said to be born on 1881 census, could be any of them, without knowing if any of them have the MMN of Coates I dont think I will ever know.  As you said most of the family births etc are in the Auckland district & on Durham records online website they are in Easington, but South & North Shields isnt the usual, unless Richard & Sarah moved for a short while, before she died......

I guess its going to be another of those unsolved mysteries!!!!

Thanks for the help
Jan

Offline Joan Horton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 December 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me putting in a penny worth.

My Father was called Alec COATES Jackson...  named after some distant family relation....!!!!

Alec Coates Jackson B 1906. m Kate Flanagan b 1902   m 1930..

Father: James Low(e) Jackson b 1863 m Flora Manson b 1866   m 1889

GF: John Jackson b 1834 m Mary Jane Smith b 1839  m 1859.

GGF:  John Jackson b 1799/1800  m Jane Oliver b 1808  m 1832 

I am trying to find out more about the last John Jackson but have come unstuck... is this any help to you? or perhaps you might be able to help me.

Many thanks if you can.

Offline JaneAuston

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sarah Coates was the grandmother of my grandad Matthew Auston. Her husband was William Auston/Owston, and their son Charles  Auston was my grandads dad. I beleive Sarah and William  died while their family were still children. My grandad told me that after they died, that Charles was brought up by his mother's mother Jane Coates. He also told me that an Uncle who owned a tin mine in Cornwall came to offer to bring Charles up, but as he wouldn't take girls he wasn't allowed to take Charles. Years later there was an anouncement for unclaimed money in the News of the World.....but to my knowledge, no one followed this up.Good luck with your research. Jane