Author Topic: Marsh Family Austonley Upper Thong and Cartworth  (Read 11680 times)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marsh Family Austonley Upper Thong and Cartworth
« on: Tuesday 26 May 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
I bought an old dictionary yesterday. It was published in 1823 and in 1831 was owned by John and Hannah Marsh. The front endpapers and the back of the frontispiece have been used by their son Joshua to record the births of his children.

Joshua Marsh son of John and Hannah Marsh was born July 23rd 1823 at Flushes in the Township of Austonley.

Mary Crossland the daughter of George and Ruth Crossland was born August 14th 1829 at Holmbridge in Township of Austonley.

Ann Marsh the daughter of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born Springlane Mill in the Township of Upper Thong January 28th 1852 and departed this world the same ?

Hugh Marsh, the son of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born at Bottoms in the Township of Upper Thong November 28th 1852

Rose Anna Marsh the daughter of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born at Bottoms in the Township of Upper Thong July 28th 1854

Eliza Marsh the daughter of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born July 27th 1856 in the Township of Upper Thong Victoria

Crossland Marsh, the son of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born March 3rd 1858 at Dyson's Hill in the Township of Cartworth

John William Marsh the son of Joshua and Mary Marsh was born February 1st 1862 at Dyson's Mill in the Township of Cartworth

Joseph Crossland Marsh son of J & M Marsh born July 27th 1865 at Dyson's Mill in the Township of Cartworth

George A Marsh son of J & M Marsh born August 1st 1868 at Dyson's Mill in the Township of Cartworth.

There's also mention of Joseph Mellor, son of Betty Mellor, born March 4th 1841

After the name of Hannah Marsh there's a word that looks like "Flaushouse", but googling it hasn't produced anything. Does it mean anything to anyone here?

At the moment the book has no boards and the pages are detached from the rest of the book so would be quite easy to scan or photograph if anyone here is related to the family and would like copies. (I'm a hobby bookbinder, so in due course, I'll be reattaching the pages and rebinding the book.)

Ann
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marsh Family Austonley Upper Thong and Cartworth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
There's a place called Flush House at Holme nr Holmfirth.

Your offer is most kind, I wish the Marsh's were my ancestors.

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
That would tie in with Joshua being born in Flushes, so I think you're right. I've also got a 2 volume 1805 edition of "The Traveller's Guide", and out of curiosity I looked all the placenames up in that, but not one of them is mentioned.

I found the book at Barter Books in Alnwick, a fair way from its original home. Makes you wonder what happened to it after it left the Marsh Family.

Vezey, London

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

There a new website just set up about Holme and its inhatitants I'm sure the Site would be interested with your info.

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/HolmeVillageHome
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
I had a look and they already have some details of a Marsh Family. There's a Mary, born in 1845 in Upper Thong who married a Joseph Marsh. Although they don't match any of the entries in my book, there may well be a connection.

I've now repaired and got some nice sharp shots of the pages, so I'll send them to the website.

Researching family history is so popular now that it seems such a shame to stumble across something like this and not share it.

Edited to add that I've now searched high and low on the page and while I can find an invitation to contact the webmaster, I can't find a link to an email addie for him/her.

Vezey, London

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

I've sent a PM with his Email address or see his link on Roots and PM him by Roots so you have two roots back to the website contact

Dale Rodgers or Drogers poster

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=344493.new;topicseen#new

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 09 06:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, its just the kind of miscellany I hope to incorporate in my site.
Currently I only have extensive gedcom (family linked database) info for Holme but its very close and the surnames are common in my study.

When I have incorporated it with appropriate links I will post a lnk here.

The latest info I can find on Ancestry is the 1901 census where Son George (32) is Inkeeper at the dog and partridge Inn. Hinchliffe Mill. Living with wife Annie, Mother Mary and Sons Fred (4)  Hubert (2) and unnamed (1 week).

I seem to remember the Dog and Partridge was recently called the Eareknucle Boys.

If anyone would like to contribute any miscellany regarding the Holee Valley please do, either here, by email or on www.werelate.org/wiki/HolmeVillageHome

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Glad to know it's of interest. I can send high resolution copies for printing off if needs be.

Vezey, London

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 May 09 13:36 BST (UK) »

Hi All

Glad we got results and everyone happy. There must be loads of stuff for Holme and Holmevalley out there and Dale's work to make a data website for this info used in conjuntion with Rootschat/Ancestry.com websites as people to see it................can't be bad.

Happy reading

Dobby