Author Topic: North Lanarkshire Council Graves moved.  (Read 10968 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Lanarkshire Council Graves moved.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 June 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Dismay, sheer dismay. It is simply a travesty to do this. I am quite lost for words as it should be an absolute 'NO' and no further said or done. RIP except they can't because the powers that are in Lanarkshire have decided otherwise. :'(

Offline mcghee67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 June 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
North Lanarkshire Council really don't care what the wishes of the people are they go there own way and disregard the wishes of the people who voted them in but I think they are in for a rude awakening come the next election!!!
Maybe they will be haunted
Molloy, Gallagher, Monaghan, O'Donnell Co Donegal

Provan Collins Govan Glasgow
McGivney, Molloy Craigneuk Wishaw Motherwell

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 June 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
Oh Dear for those whose actions on the mortal remains of the souls of those they disturb. Comupence- the merry go round. We all have a 'judgement day'. It shouldn't have been done and that's it.  :(

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 June 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hear hear Glamis,  I hope that the poor souls that they have disturbed to build that cafewill haunt them out of it!!!! I wonder if those dunderheads in the council offices have thought ahead to the next 50years or so would any of them like their mortal remains to be disturbed to  build offices or whatever? I think not.... but as they say what goes round comes round......

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 June 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Well, what ever the religion, creed, colour or belief- what comes round goes round- 'do unto others as you would have unto yourself' etc etc. Those peeps need to think a while- time catches up ;D

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 01:04 BST (UK) »
If you want to blame anyone for this - blame the management committee of the now defunct Wellwynd church, it was that agust group that cleared the area and built the carpark back in the 1960s, not North Lanarkshire Council.  Part of the burial ground still exists and is being left as it is, headstones in place - by NLC. (For the moment).

The same thing happened at Broomknoll Church in Airdrie, the church cleared the entire burial ground of headstones and built a church hall and car park. (As far as I know, the bodies are still there).

I think I'd rather have my bones moved to a nice cemetery than have them under a car park!
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Well Lodger, Why bother being buried at all if in a few years on, your rest is up and its time to move out? The proverbial parking meter is on a timer. I see from the remaining stones and the wooden chair that this is not looked after very much. Who is responsible for the maintenance of it? The Church parish or The Council? If it is the Council, isn't it strange they are no where to be seen in tidying etc but they are able to lift and shift when it suits.

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
I recon a council official with bum on wooden chair having his sandwiches one lunch time had a 'Brain wave'.
What a fantastic place for a Cafe.
He was in such a hurry to get back to his colleges with his fantastic idea he forgot to take his wooden chair.
Wooden chair,despair,cooncil bums on seat,s nae mair!

Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
There was a very interesting TV programme on Channel 4 on Sunday night called The Exhumer.  It featured the man whose company is moving the bodies from under a carpark at the Old Wellwynd Church.  I thought the company was very sensitive and careful and respectful of the remains.  As each body is exhumed individually, the remains are kept together and any items like rings and rosary beads will be reburied with the appropriate remains.  Other mass and individual exhumations are featured too.

You can still watch the programme for about three more weeks on Channel 4's 4oD - just google channel4 and click on 4oD.  I recommend the programme, it's not sensationalist or grisly and it discusses the ethical issues in some depth.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway