Author Topic: Magee/ McGee East Tyrone  (Read 6914 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Magee/ McGee East Tyrone
« on: Tuesday 26 May 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have discovered that my original Magee/ McGee family came from East Tyrone (Cookstown, Dungannon, Stewartstown area). I think I can trace it back to the marriage of Arthur Magee/McGee in 1857 to Maria Hobbson in Donaghenry Church of Ireland.

This is where the trail goes cold. I have tried to find the baptism of Arthur's son Benjamin in the same church (1858) but to no avail. (I was looking at the microfilm in PRONI but it was so faint it was practically illegible)

Can anyone suggest a way to break down this brick wall? Is Donaghenry Church still existing today? Can anyone suggest any other resources to try?

Many thanks
Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Magee/ McGee East Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone help with this please?

thanks
Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
I believe this church is now part of the grouped Parish of Brackaville, Donaghenry and Ballyclog within the Church of Ireland.

This was the contact address for the Rector in 2006:-
The Revd K.R.J. Hall
Holy Trinity Rectory
82 Dungannon Road
Coalisland Co. Tyrone
BT71 4HT

The church graveyard is included in the History from Headstones datatbase on AncestryIreland.com and some parish papers dating back to 1780 are in the Armagh Diocesan Archive in PRONI.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Akanex

I did write to the rector a couple of weeks ago, no joy there unfortunately. And I have checked history from headstones.

All that's left is to try and get to PRONI.

thanks for your help
Liscoole

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Magee/ McGee East Tyrone- just vanished off the face of the earth...
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 09 11:32 BST (UK) »
I went to PRONI and finally found the baptism record of my great great grandfather Benjamin Magee! He was baptised at Ardtrea Church of Ireland on 4th May 1859, date of birth 22 October 1858, son of Arthur Magee and Maria Hobbson. They lived in Dufless, Artrea parish, which is just on the border of Londonderry.

Thrilled as I am to find this, it opens up yet another problem. Arthur and Maria's deaths are NOWHERE to be found! I have even had GRONI do a search for Arthur, which brought up nothing!

I did find Arthur in Lennon Wylie in 1877 living in 4 Arkwright St in Belfast, but dont know whether Maria was still alive at that time, or if she died in Tyrone, and then the family moved up to Belfast. Family search does not seem to have any entries to match Arthur or Maria's death.

Seems as if they just vanished off the face of the earth!

Would be grateful for any ideas!

thanks
Liscoole

Offline Sybilla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
To Liscoole

I am looking for a Margaret Magee or McGee who married William Falls in Moy Dungannon in Jan 1846.
Two sons were born in Baltimore USA. Wm James Falls in 1854 and Robert Charles Freamont Falls in 1858. These two came to Australia in 1876. Their parents and younger siblings were on a ship that disappeared.

I saw your ref to Magees and wonder if there is a connection.
Sybilla

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sybilla

thanks so much for your message!

Do you know what Margaret's father's name was, and have you any more precise info about Margaret's marriage? Do you have the marriage certificate?

This would help us narrow things down a bit and see if there is a connection. There are so many Magee's / McGee's in that area that it is a difficult name to research.

Looking forward to hearing from you

best wishes
Liscoole

Offline Sybilla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
All we know is that Margaret Magee married William James Falls in Jan 1846 at Dungannon Moy.
Two sons William James and Robert Charles Freamont Falls were born in Baltimore USA in 1854 and 1858.
The ship the parents and younger siblings were on disappeared at sea. The two boys had been offloaded to another ship. They arr in Australia in 1876.
I'm new at this. Please overlook if you have recd this twice.
Sybilla

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 09 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sybilla

Thanks for your message. The reason why I ask if you have the marriage certificate is that if you do, you will be able to make much more headway with your research.

As the marriage took place in 1846,  it is possible that it was registered in the civil index and if so, you would be able to apply for a copy of it.

This would then tell you much more info- the couples' fathers' names, where they lived, their occupations and also probably age at time of marriage.

Unfortunately without any more info, I cannot tell if you are connected to my Magees.

However, if you are able to get the marriage certificate, perhaps we can move forward.

Best wishes
Liscoole  :)