Author Topic: William Damon TATCHELL and his wife Nesta (" Nosta") on passenger lists  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: William Damon TATCHELL and his wife Nesta (" Nosta") on passenger lists
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
Kaz,
Crossed posts again - would the 1916 Census have been one taken in Canada...?
keith

Offline kaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Yep - its only a partial though (made up of the provinces  Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta)
- and its on Ancestry.ca

Canada does have other Census(Censi?) online at :
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Its free - no need to even register and if you click on the "split screen view" button you get to see the actual pages.....

You may wish to check out this link and see if there is anything that can help:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,299373.0.html

but i am sure that someone will soon be along to add a lot more info than i can :D
Aspinall-Lancashire and Canada,
Dickinson-Lancashire and Canada,
Noon-Warwickshire,
Parr-Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire
Reeves-Staffs and Warwickshire,
Viggers-Oxfordshire and Warwickshire,

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:35 BST (UK) »
Kaz,
Thanks again for that.  I do have an ancestry subscription, but not sure what areas it covers.  Time for bed for me now, you've been a wonderful help.  Will continue my discussions with cousin re all this in the morning!
keith
p.p.s. My ancestry subscription does NOT cover the 1916 partial Census of Canada, no...

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
The William D. Tatchell on the 1916 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta was in Wilton, Battleford, Saskatchewan. It indicates he was 24, single, born in England, immigrated in 1914 and was a farmer. The only other person in the household was a lodger named Frank B. Plant (I'm not sure of that surname - it's a best guess as it's difficult to read).

This William is the same as the one who married Nesta. The 1922 New York passenger list that Kaz referred to said their destination was Marshall, Saskatchewan. Marshall, Saskatchewan is located in the Rural Municipality of Wilton which matches the census information. Also, passenger list information in my next post would seem to confirm it as well.

Keith, about your question regarding Nesta's nationality on that immigration record, this excerpt from the Library and Archives Canada website probably explains thing best:
From 1763 until the Canadian Citizenship Act came into force on January 1, 1947, people born in Canada were all British subjects. Since immigrants born in Great Britain and the Commonwealth were already British subjects, they had no need to become naturalized or to obtain British citizenship in Canada.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
There is an incoming UK passenger list entry that shows a William D. Tatchell arriving in Southampton on the Melita on 25 Jun 1925. He was 23, a farmer and the address in the UK he was going to was Hedbury, Swanage, Dorset.

He returned to Canada on the Minnedosa arriving in Quebec on 24 Jul 1925. He says he had been in Canada from 1914 to 1925 in Marshall, Saskatchewan. He was returning to his wife in Marshall.

There is also an incoming UK passenger list entry that shows Nesta Tatchell, 34, arriving in London on the Alaunia on 20 May 1926. The address she was going to was High Street, Swanage, Dorset. With Nesta was Mary K. (3) and Henry S. (1) Tatchell.

As Kaz mentioned, they returned to Canada arriving in Quebec on the Minnedosa on 20 Aug 1926. Nesta was 34, born in Tottenham, had been in Canada from 1922 to 1926 in Marshall, Saskatchewan. She was going to join her husband, W.D. Tatchell, General Delivery, Winnipeg. She lists the nearest relative in the country from where she came as Mother: Mrs. Kershaw, Rouge Huis, Guernsey, C.I. With Nesta were Mary Kershaw Tatchell, 3, born in Lloydminster and Henry Spencer Tatchell, 1, also born in Lloydminster. The passenger list doesn't indicate whether it was Lloydminster, Saskatchewan or Alberta.  Lloydminster is literally on the Alberta/Saskatchewan border with parts of the city in each province. 

Another Canadian passenger list entry for William Damon Tatchell aboard the Sicilian which arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick on 29 Mar 1920. He indicates he had been in Canada before from 1914 to 1919 in Marshall, Saskatchewan but his destination was Lloydminster, Alberta.

I'll keep looking for his 1914 passenger list.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 09 00:29 BST (UK) »
I found a border crossing document which indicates Mary Tatchell, 23, born Lloydminster, Saskatchewan crossed into the US at Port Huron, Michigan on 1 Nov 1943. She indicates that her last permanent residence had been the Y.W.C.A. in Sarnia, Ontario. It doesn't indicate whether this was a visit or if she was moving to the US.

There is also a border crossing document for Spencer Henry Tatchell who crossed the border into the US at Metaline Falls, Washington on 23 Mar 1946. He was 21, born in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan and a student. It was a pleasure trip to Spokane, Washington for three days. He was 5'8" with a medium complexion, brown hair and blue eyes. The name and address of his nearest relative in Canada he listed as father: William in Winnipeg.

I found a reference to an obituary in the Salmon Arm Observer regarding the death of Henry Spencer "Spence" Tatchell, 82. The date listed is 2 Feb 2007 but I don't know if that is his date of death or the date of the newspaper. Sorry, I don't know how to get a copy of the obituary.

Jacquie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 May 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
WAY COOL!!!!! I just found a reference that Henry Spencer "Spence" Tatchell played hockey professionally. He played one game for the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League but spent most of his career in the minor leagues.

He was also on the Winnipeg Ranger hockey team that won the Memorial Cup in 1942-1943 (that's a big deal in hockey). That team was inducted in the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame in 2002 (http://www.halloffame.mb.ca/honoured/2002/1942-43Rangers.htm). There's a team photo but it says he wasn't present when it was taken.

Here's a link to the entry for Spence Tatchell at the Legends of Hockey website (part of the Hockey Hall of Fame website):
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14523
and to a website called Hockey Reference:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/tatchsp01.html

Edited to add:
Sorry for getting overly excited here but I found an entry for him with a picture at the New York Rangers website. Here's the link:
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?page=HistoricalPlayerDetail&pkey=8449225&service=page

Jacquie

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 May 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
Jacquie,
You're an absolute star!  While I have been in the world of dreams you have been unearthing a mine of information about this branch of my family.  In that 1953 airmail, Nesta talks about her son Spencer, and four of her grandchildren (his children, I think).  Also about her daughter Mary, who doesn't seem to have married.  She doesn't, however, mention her husband William at all, and I was wondering with their deaths given in different places - hers in 1983 in North Cowichan, and his in 1979 in Duncan - whether they stayed together.  Are those places near one another in B.C?
What an amazing piecing together of a family's movements thanks to passenger lists and the crossing of borders....
Very many thanks, keith
N.B Funny how hairstyles have changed, Spence definitely had the tousled-hair look...

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
From what I can tell at Google Maps, North Cowichan and Duncan are less than 5 km apart. I'm not sure what the boundaries are for their respective registration areas though.

I'm glad I could help. After seeing that obituary reference where Spence was in quotation marks, I decided to google "Spence Tatchell" on a whim so it was such a surprise to "New York Rangers" in some of the search results. I'm a big hockey fan. The icon under my user name is actually the logo for Hockey Canada.

The timing of this was funny in a way. I was about go watch a National Hockey League playoff game when I found the information about Spence Tatchell. Also, just a few days ago the Windsor Spitfires won the Memorial Cup which was the 91st anniversary of the trophy. Here's a little information about the trophy:
The Memorial Cup, one of the most prestigious and coveted trophies in North American sport, has a rich tradition that has shaped the way junior hockey is played in North America. The trophy was originally known as the OHA Memorial Cup and was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association in March, 1919, in remembrance of the many soldiers who paid the supreme sacrifice for Canada in The First World War.

I can't seem to find the 1914 passenger list for William Tatchell at Ancestry or Find My Past.

Jacquie