Author Topic: William Damon TATCHELL and his wife Nesta (" Nosta") on passenger lists  (Read 11127 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: William Damon TATCHELL and his wife Nesta (" Nosta") on passenger lists
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 May 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Jacquie,
Have managed meanwhile to look at a larger map, and have spotted those two locations on Vancouver Island being so close together.  I imagine there must be a combined headstone for William and Nesta somewhere nearby.
The other thing I was curious about was where in Canada is the Salmon Arm Observer published - is this still Vancouver Island that we're talking about?
All this has been most exciting, by the way!
keith

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 May 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Salmon Arm is in British Columbia. It's located about 450 km northeast of Vancouver in the Rocky Mountains (more east than north). The places where Spence played hockey are not too far from there as the crow flies. To drive the distance you have to add a lot of kms to your trip because of the mountains.

I've found a number of references to Spence Tatchell and some for Mary Tatchell in the Winnipeg Free Press. Most of the references for Spence are hockey write-ups where his name was mentioned. There are also a couple for his playing baseball and tennis in his high school years. The references to Mary involved high school activities as well as her being named to the All People's United Church building fund committee in 1946. She played tennis too. I think I also found a mention of the birth for a son of Spence.

I also found an article in the Brandon Sun dated 1973 regarding a high school basketball tournament that is held in Winnipeg annually which had a team from Salmon Arm, BC playing in it. One of their players was named Sandra Tatchell according to this article. With Spence's obituary being in a Salmon Arm newspaper it seems quite possible this Sandra is related to him.

If you PM me you email address I can send some of the articles to you.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 May 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the Salmon Arm Observer's website:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/salmonarmobserver/
I tried searching their obituary database but it doesn't seem to go back to 2007 as Spence's wasn't listed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 May 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Great, Jacquie,
I'll PM you now...
keith

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 May 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
If you use Canada 411 and enter Tatchell there is a Spencer Tatchell listed in Kelowna BC (not that far from Salmon Arm) with address and telephone number - perhaps a son for the Spencer Jacquie was researching for you.

Debbie

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 May 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Debbie,
Thanks very much for that, will look into it tomorrow now, as it's getting late...
very best wishes, keith

Offline Jaminiceric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 05:48 BST (UK) »
My name is Michael D. Tatchell and I am one of nine grandchildren of William Damon and Nesta Tatchell.  My father is Spencer Tatchell (deceased January 8, 2007) and Dorothy Tatchell (my family is the one with seven children -- Aunt Mary Kershaw Tatchell had two children). 

I discovered your chat tonight for the first time (in fact first time I've even seen the site) and I am in awe of the manner in which you have uncovered information about my grandparents and family -- 99% of it accurate. 

By the way, they did remain married until William passed away in 1979.  They both lived in Cobble Hill and then Duncan B.C. until their death.   Keith, your suggestion that there must be a common headstone is absolutely correct.

Mike.         

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mike, and welcome to Rootschat!
This is most exciting, and if you reply to my own response here I believe that with your two postings on this website we should be able to communicate further by PM (Personal Message) on here.
Remarkably, we are (distantly) related, with common ancestors in Henry Pakeman GURNER (1796-1880) and Mary Ann WHITE (b.1795 in Pembroke, Wales, died 1872 and buried in Ickleton, Cambridgeshire, as  was her husband Henry Pakeman); they are my gt-gt-gt-grandparents  They both lived in London from their marriage in 1821 until the mid-1860's when he retired as a tea dealer and they both came to live in the family home of the GURNER's in Ickleton.  This was in the family ownership from the early 17thC until the 1970's, is still standing, and is in good hands even yet...
Nesta was one of Henry and Mary's gt-grandchildren, through their daughter Mary Ann (b.1830), and one of her sons (I've forgotten which one, at the moment!).  I have a copy of her birth certificate of 1893, and the cousin I spoke about at the start of this thread has many photographs of Nesta's KERSHAW family as she grew up.
If you're interested at all in our common family history, I can let you have all kinds of other details.  Curiously, the cousin in England is as interested as I am in all this genealogy, whereas her sister in Canada (moved there in the 1970's), who lives not far from your family, is much less keen...
Hope to hear from you again soon,
Regards, Keith

Offline Jaminiceric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
HI Keith, exciting is an understatement -- I will absolutely follow up with you on the personal message front (from your e-mail I was glad to learn what PM means) and we can exchange details. 

Thank you so much for such a quick response!  I find the information absolutely fascinating and look forward to learning more -- hopefully I can give you some information back as well.  So Henry and Mary are my gt-gt-grandparents.

I note that I made a mistake on my first posting -- I didn't mention that Dorothy Tatchell is my mother and married Spencer in 1947.   I'll have some time tonight to provide much more detail on Nesta so I can respond by PM -- its Pacific Coast time and I'm presently at work.

Till then, many thanks again Keith.

Mike.