Author Topic: Canadian Passenger list  (Read 3570 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian Passenger list
« on: Thursday 28 May 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could take a look at passenger list if they exist, for Thomas Robert Davies & his wife Agnes Sophia Davies nee Watts, they married here in England in 1855?  Three of the children were born in Canada between 1857-1861.
What I am looking for is passenger list to Canada 1855-57, & then returning, Agnes Sophia possibly on her own c1857- 1864 (she died here in England), & then Thomas Roberts Davies with three of his children 1857 - 1870.  Thomas got married again in 1870 in Ashburton Devon.  
They settled in Newmarket Canada - in one of the townships.
thanks
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Passenger list
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
I had a little look thru some of our Canadian sites.  I found Thomas Robert Davies and wife Sarah Marie buried at Beechwood Cemetary which is in New Edinburgh, Russell, Carleton County, Ottawa Township and not in NewMarket.  He and Sarah are on the 1881 & 1901 census in the same place.  He is listed as being Scottish, b1834, Presbyterian, occ. Carpenter and living with three children.  The eldest, Thomas B. born in England around 1862ish and the two daughters born in Canada.  This family appears to be the only match to yours if this helps.
Regards, Karen
Kerr/Lauchlan/Montgomery/Cook-Dalry, Ayrshire
Stewart/Wylie/Small/Jack-Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Davidson/Urquhart/Lindsay-Dreghorn, Ayrshire
Henderson-Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the Library and Archives Canada website page regarding pre-1865 Canadian passenger lists:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.002-e.html

Trish, can you clarify something. When the family returned to England did they stay there or return to Canada later?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for looking, Agnes Sophia Davies nee Watts has a gravestone in The Baptist Church Wokingham - with nothing but her name on the gravestone.  Which makes me feel as though she may have died else where.  Thomas certainly didnt return to Canada as he married again in 1870 & appears in the 1871 Census with three of his four children-

Thomas R Davies 45  widower has been crossed out and married inserted by enumerator but no wife shown  Draper b Pembrokeshire
Maria Elizabeth   14  b Canada Newmarket
Rebecca Jane   12         ditto
Fanny Weeks Davies 10  b Canada ? Bedford
Annie Soneardon 20  asst draper
Sarah Cornish 20  servant
RG10 Piece 2080 Folio 70 Page 13

Marriage Dec q 1870 Thomas Robert Davies to Julia Curwood.  Julia born 5th March 1832 mother: Hannah Howe, Father: Thomas Curwood (their marriage 9th April 1828 Uffcolme.

His fourth child Florence Isabel Howe Davies was born in Ashburton in 1871, she lived with her cousin and was adopted by them & lived in Wokingham.  Although something doesent seem right and I cannot put my finger on it!  Florence carrys the Howe name which belongs to her stepmother's mother.  Also I found Agnes Sophia death in 1864 if thats right one, if it is then she cant be the real mother of the children, and who I believed was her stepmother may be in actually fact be her mother.  So Agnes Sophia must of died sometime between 1855 (when she married Thomas Robert Davies) & 1870(when Thomas married again).
If you see on the census the eldest child Maria Elizabeth (who was named after Agnes Sophia's mother Maria Elizabeth Watts nee Weeks) was 14 so she must have been born 1857 in Newmarket Canada, the youngest child carries the middle name of 'Weeks'. The middle child carrys the name Rebecca, that would be named after Agnes Sophia's sister Rebecca. 
This doesnt make sense surely the stepmother wouldnt have named her children after the first wives family?  Or could Agnes Sophia changed her name?  She was only 19 when she married Thomas, did she elope?  Hmmm!

Can you see where I am coming from?
Anyhow I am straying from tracking the family on the emigration to Canada, then their return to England sometime between 1855-1870.

Any help will be gratefully received
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
I take it you are certain that the Thomas Robert Davies who married Julia Curwood was your Thomas. Do you have a copy of Florence's birth registration? It would probably be worth the cost to get it if you don't.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
I too thought you were saying that Thomas and a second wife returned to Canada.  Seems odd that there is an exact match name in Canadian records.  Do you have the marriage certificate of the second marriage?
Karen

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
I had a look at your response again.  If Thomas married Julia in the last quarter of 1870, why can she not be the mother of Florence b1871 not the stepmother and it would be logical that she named her daughter Howe after her own mother?
Karen