Author Topic: Mattocks family, Burlingham/Ludham  (Read 9632 times)

Offline DougG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mattocks family, Burlingham/Ludham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pansy, My Grandfather was also Thomas Mattocks, youngest son of Robert of Schoose Farm. I have been interested in the move to Norfolk and then onwards to Dagenham where my Grandfather farmed until he was killed in a car crash when I was two. The Dagenham farm was run by my uncle Charles whose son still lives in Romford.
I am struggling to go many generations back from Robert Mattocks born 1781 who married Elizabeth Edgar.  He was father of George who in turn was our two times Great Grandfather.

Offline pansy267

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 August 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
i to had drawn a blank but yesterday i discovered dalston church records are now online .i found two matches for Robert Mattocks :
21/5/1808 Robert mattocks kendal age27 marries elizabeth Edger
then a baptism:
 22/10/1809 john son of robert mattocks forest hall kendal .
This realy is a breakthrough as i have always been lead to believe they came from dornock annan .I also fund an old probate record for a mattocks living at forest hall kendal  it must be a will which seems to back this up.let me know of any breakthrough.

Offline chrismattocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,Thomas Mattocks 1878/1932 who married Margaret Ann Starling was my grandfather.I have been researching the Mattocks family tree for a couple of years and have got quite a lot of info on most branches.e.g John Mattocks 1868/1949 married Margaret Ann Tweddle 1866 Kirklinton,Cumberland/March 1944 Norwich.Thomas Mattocks(my grandfather)had 5 children.Charles Thomas 1902/1979.Amy 1903/1983.Sallie 1904/? .Ella 1910/19157 and my father Robert William 1905/1981.Sadley I can only trace the tree back to 1698 to a William Mattocks.Nearly all of them came from Cumberland mainly in the north part of the county and were all farmers.It would seem that the crop failure of the 1800's drove them down to Norfolk.I do have a lot more info on them.I would be delighted to send it to you.Also if you have any info on the tree I would love to read it.Regards Chris Mattocks

Offline chrismattocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pansy 267,Robert Mattocks 1781 born in Leck was my 3rd great grandfather,he married Elizabeth Edgar on the 21st May 1809 in Dalston,the Pallot's marriage index shows this,also from the census it shows he was an agricultural labourer.Died Dec 1858 in Roughton and Gaitsgill,Cumberland.I have been researching the Mattocks tree for a couple of years and do have quite a lot of info on most branches.I would be delighted to send you any info on it.Also if you have any info I would be delighted to read it.Regards Chris Mattocks

Offline chrismattocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie J.I was delighted to read your brief history of Robert Mattocks 1839-1921.He was my great grandfather.My father was Robert William 1905-1981.I have been researching the Mattocks tree for several years now and have got stuck at William Mattocks 1698.I am hoping you may have succeeded where I failed.If you have any further info i would be thrilled to read it.I do have some bits to hopefully help you.John 1868-1941 married Margaret Tweddle 1866-1944

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 01:58 BST (UK) »
 Hello Rosie, I was born in Ludham just after WW2,one off my teachers was Mary Mattocks,there is still a Mattocks living in the village,(David), I think his mother was Mary. I also remember there were Tom & Billy who ran the farm, I still go to Ludham, as my brother still lives there, so if you wish I can see if I can find any info that may help, speak to David, search the churchyard for names etc. I'm not sure what I can post on here, can I do addresses & phone numbers??? If so please tell me, I can then give you Davids details, so that you can contact him direct. I'm new to this & still learning,Dave

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, not sure if you have googled Ludham archive, there is a burial plan for the churchyard & also pictures of the Mattocks family + one of the house. I seem to have got the teacher bit wrong her name was Gwen,Dave

Offline Craig Mattocks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 December 17 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was really interested to read your various posts regarding the Mattocks family.
I am Craig John Mattocks, son of John Charles Thomas Mattocks, who was the son of Charles, your uncle. Sadly my father passed away 5 years ago but my mother still lives in Romford. I'd love to know more about the Dagenham farm, I have an old photo of it on my wall. I'll enjoy reading back through the various exchanges you have had on this site and my roots to the past.
Regards Craig.

"Hi Pansy, My Grandfather was also Thomas Mattocks, youngest son of Robert of Schoose Farm. I have been interested in the move to Norfolk and then onwards to Dagenham where my Grandfather farmed until he was killed in a car crash when I was two. The Dagenham farm was run by my uncle Charles whose son still lives in Romford.
I am struggling to go many generations back from Robert Mattocks born 1781 who married Elizabeth Edgar.  He was father of George who in turn was our two times Great Grandfather.
[/quote]