Author Topic: Liverpool Arms, Charlotte Square, Margate.  (Read 8544 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Liverpool Arms, Charlotte Square, Margate.
« on: Saturday 30 May 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
In about 1938, part of Charlotte Place, Margate became Charlotte Square. There were 2 public houses in Charlotte Place and both were given new numbers in Charlotte Sq. Referring to the plan, A was the George & Dragon ( now Quart in a Pint Pot ) and somewhere about B was the Liverpool Arms ( now demolished ). I was wondering if anyone is able to confirm that it was the Liverpool Arms and whether its position is correct.
Many thanks, Toby.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL ARMS, MARGATE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 May 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby

Liverpool Arms, 22 Charlotte Place, Margate

http://deadpubs.co.uk/

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL ARMS, CHARLOTTE SQ.,MARGATE
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ricky for that lead. Chalotte Place being such an odd shape originally, it is quite difficult to see what number a property may have had. I think I am probably right about the position of the Liverpool Arms but would be happier if someone actually knew. A question. I suppose, of when was it pulled down and how old the readers are.
Toby.

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hello There

What an interesting subject! The Liverpool Arms dated from 1811, though Cobb's Papers mention a Liverpool Arms in 1786 so possible that it was rebuilt. It was refused another license in 1951 after only three and half barrels were being sold a week. The biggest factor for its closure was the council compulsory purchasing the land and buildings around Charlotte Square, which were now in such a state of decline it was classed a slum area.
The adult population within 100 yards of the premises was 163, within 200 yards 952, 300 yards 1,688 and 400 yards 2,552.

Within 100 yards there were six licensed premises in 400 yards 28! Before demolition started there were 134 houses in the area, which estimated 4 adults to each, gave a population of 546. The houses were replaced with 86 flats housing 288. This faces Charlotte Square today and I have digressed as this west side of the Square was exactly where the Liverpool Arms was.

See attached map and pictrure. If you use this for anything other than interest can you please credit me.

Many Thanks
Suzannah Foad
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzannah,
                        Your reply was better than anything I had dared hope for. Photograph too. Marvellous.
      My great grandmother lived in Charlotte Sq. for a few years before dying in 1919. I was in Margate looking for the house and when I got close, I was upset to find so many modern buildings. I felt it was pretty hopeless but in the end, after some research in the local ref. lib ( they were very helpful with a long run of local directories and maps etc.) I found that her house was right next door to the George & Dragon and I suspect it only survived because it was part of the pub block and was/ is owned by the pub chain.
     Thank you very much for your help. You have fleshed out the background wonderfully.[ This is for my own interest but would certainly credit you if it should be otherwise.]
Best wishes, Toby.

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome. I do enjoy filling in these gaps about Margate.
I have attached two otehr pictures for you. One of your Great Grandmothers house and also one of the Square c.1908.
Anything else Margate wise I can help with, please ask
Suzannah
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
You are right with the house. Can you talk me through the 1908 picture? I cannot quite make out the signs.
I have 2 other queries. On a house front, on the north side of the square, appears  MPH Co. Does that mean anything to you? Secondly do you have a photo of Emmanuel Church, Victoria Road?
Thanks for your help
Toby.

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 June 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
The 1908 picture. On the left is the George and Dragon, now Quart in a Pint Pot.
So, its looking to the west side of Charlotte Square which is now gone.

Is the Chapel you require the pre 1881 or after? The Zion Chapel, Lady Huntingdon's Connection, was in Addington Square Margate. The Chapel was built c.1801 by Mr Grove. Caleb Bird being Pastor from 1847-1881. 
The original Chapel was demolished in 1882 and now on the site stands my Uncle's house. The right hand side of his house looks over the burial ground and to his left is the old Emmanuel Sunday School which has been there pre 1800. I have pictures of the chapel from engravings and drawings pre demolition. In 1881 a new Zion Chapel was built on land behind the original Chapel, in Victoria Road. This is still here today and was a Plastic Moulders until 2004, when the Church reopened!

FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suzannah. I can see it now. Interesting to compare the 2 pictures and see what has not changed. Pity it developed into a slum for there is clearly a certain charm about the Square as it was.
    The Emmanuel Church which is of interest is where a brother of my grandfather got married in January 1909. The rites were of Lady Huntingdon's Connection. My interest in a picture of the church is that I have a file just for marriage churches / chapels of family so anything you have will be much appreciated.
I can see that you have the same deep interest for Margate that I have for Swindon and your considerable help is much appreciated.
Toby.