Author Topic: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE  (Read 18848 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
George Briggs and Ellen McManns -McManus - are mine, it's her photo that i have.  I have that BDM cert.  I have doubts about her age though - I think that she put it up to get married -she always told family that she was 16 when she married.  Ellen was illiterate but managed to get her name right for the marriage cert. There is a transcription error with the name.

Are there often transcription errors with dates?  I was wondering if it could be possible that the date is wrong:
SINCLAIR William married BRIGGS Catharine on 1848-05-14

Oh trust me not to notice.  You are lucky to have her photo.  I would love some more photos of my ancestors especially those who emigrated to Aus.

You could ask for the date to be checked by SAGHS.  They would probably charge a fee however.  The marriage was at Encounter Bay at the home of Mr Newland.  Long way from Mintaro in those days.  Lots of transcription errors with names as there was often illiteracy and accents for the registrars to deal with.  Oh the eyes are getting heavy...better leave this for tonight.  Will have another search for you tomorrow in the records in SA.  If you find the name of the cemetery for Catherine, post it as there are lots of cemetery records online, and many have photos of headstones as well.

Lots of chatters to help and they may have more ideas and sources to give you.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
  • Ellen McManus c1840 - 1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
The Catherine in the SAGS cemetery index is more likely.  I'll see what they say.

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help. I was fed up with this family and am inspired to pick up the research again :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
This shipping record is self explanatory.

BRIGGS Catherine arrived 1847-09-25 on Mariner from London via Plymouth [Source:4,6,20(W SINCLAIR)]

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Have sent off to SAGHS for the Catherine Briggs cemetery index record.  When I phoned, the very helpful SAGHS volunteer  said that they hold early Parkside records, so have requested records for John Briggs as well.  Will post relevant info when I receive it.
Thanks for your help
bertoli

Offline Housie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've only just discovered this site. I am the great granddaughter of Mary Ellen Briggs. She was the sister of Rose and also had 5 brothers some of whom died in infancy. I was interested to see the photo of Ellen McManus. My research shows that George Briggs 'Came to Australia, aged, 16, in the French ship ‘Poiteres’ and after a journey of 18 months settled in Adelaide. Arrived 13/11/1848. In about 1855 he went to the gold rush in Maryborough, Victoria. In company with two other men (including Brown who later lived in Adelong) discovered a new lead of gold called the Adelaide Lead. they were supposed to have been paid a reward of two thousand pounds. George and Ellen travelled to Young from Adelaide by bullock waggon, driving a herd of cattle, when gold was discovered in 1859. Were in Lambing Flats (Young) at the time of the riots between the miners and the Chinese. Acquired land in Moppity Road, Young and were the original owners of a property called ‘Verona’ (which they later sold to the first Doctor who came to Young, Dr. Temple).' I don't know who else in the family besides his brother Hugh was on the ship. I haven't gotten that far. I know that George and Ellen were married in Mintaro, SA, in 1857.

Offline Housie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Another interesting thing I have in my notes was that George's brother, Hugh, had resided in Adelaide around 1845 and was made George's guardian when he arrived in Australia.
Not sure what that tells me!

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi housie
I have done heaps of research on this family and am happy to share.  I haven't done much for quite a while as I've had major commitments but am still interested and should be able to pick it up again in a few months.  I've sent you a pm. ciao bertoli

Offline Zel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 December 10 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello This is my first entry to the chat line but I have read your entries previously for Catherine Briggs b 1827 Winwrick , I beleive I can add some light to your mystery. Catherine gave birth to a Henry Ruddifer Briggs in 1845 in Winwrick. She arrived in SA on the Mariner in  1847. Married William Sinclair in May 1848  Son William John born 1949 Dau Agnes Deceased. It is assumed she then married John Martin ( F. Moses Martin M. Ann Butler )1863 Inglewood Vict. Son James Martin born all three previous births are noted on this birth certificate. Twins Mary Anne & George b 1867 then dau. Annie 1870. John Martin is shown on 1901 census with his son George living at Pretty Pines Urana where he dies the same year. I have not found mention of Catherine after the births.
I hope this helps. I haven't done any research for many years.
Zel