Author Topic: "Park" (?) Sheffield  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Park" (?) Sheffield
« on: Tuesday 02 June 09 02:43 BST (UK) »
I just received an 1855 marriage certificate which gave the address of both bride and groom as simply Park.

Googling throws up names of various parks, but does anyone know if is there actually a place called Park.

The marriage took place in The Parish Church Sheffield, though in the censuses both say they were born in Ecclesfield.

Thanks for any help.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Park" (?) Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
HI

You could take a look at thie website forum and see if anyo of it makes any sense to you.  You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the more desciptive replies that almost draws a map of where the Park area of Sheffied was

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-25724.html

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just another thought take a look at this map page

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

and in the top Search box enter Sheffield Park.

There will only be one match that appears click on it to see a few  maps of the area, the 1.10 maps are the ones you can click on and enlarge.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Take a look at this 1832 map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Sheffield1832.jpg

Ignore the red boundary, which is a proposed Borough of Sheffield. Look instead at the brown boundaries.

You will see that the 'Sheffield Township' consists of the urban centre and also a large part of the southeastern quadrant of the parish. That rural quadrant is Sheffield Park. It is the land which was once the personal property of the Lords of the Manor - a Deer Park - also containing Sheffield Manor.

From the 17th century the Lords of the Manor were generally absentee landlords and by the 19th century the Park was beginning to be divided up and built on. It will be difficult to pinpoint where these people lived without some other record with more a more detailed address. What are these peoples' names?

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I tihink I must have done something wrong, becasue I replied to you yesterday but my reply is not there. Never mind. Yes it seems likely that the area they lived in was Sheffield Park. I makes sense that it was shortened to just 'Park' on the certficiate.

Hugh,
Thanks for the further information. I looked at old maps and compared the area to a map of today and could see the area you spoke about. If I'm correct, Sheffield Park looks to be near a park called Norfolk Park. The 1832 map is just wonderful.

It was just curiosity that led me to ask this question. Names are William Bailey and Hannah Clarke. I have the family in question through the censuses. By 1861 they are back in Ecclesfield with no children yet, which is unusual. I just wonder what they were doing in Sheffiled, though William's job as an iron moulder may have led him there.

Thanks to both of you.

Offline mgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a late post to an old thread, but regarding your William Bailey ... Was he 12 yrs old in 1841 and recorded as living at "Manor Castle Yard?"

Mike
Jackson YKS, Sidney YKS, Bagshaw YKS & DBY, and to a lesser extent: Glossop, Hudson YKS

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a late post to an old thread, but regarding your William Bailey ... Was he 12 yrs old in 1841 and recorded as living at "Manor Castle Yard?"

Mike

No I'm afraid not Mike. My William was 4 years old and living in Bracken Hill, Ecclesfield ...

Offline mgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
OK ... The reason I asked is because there was a 12 yr old William Bailey residing at the Manor Castle Yard address in 1841, which lies within the boundaries of that portion of Sheffield referred to as Sheffield Park.  The Manor Castle Yard "address" is one of two enumerated addresses coinciding with (or located at) the Sheffield Manor, or the Manor Lodge ruin, on Manor Lane, Sheffield, Park.

Ah, well.  I thought I was on to something here. :-[

Mike
Jackson YKS, Sidney YKS, Bagshaw YKS & DBY, and to a lesser extent: Glossop, Hudson YKS

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that's a shame. Thanks very much for trying though. I thought you might have been a potential new distant cousin when you asked about William.  :)