Author Topic: Could this grave be in NZ-COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 11184 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could this grave be in NZ
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Hmm  ... I'd also looked at that "Thomas Dillon SMITH - died 1876" and wondered if he was a possibility ??    (The "Dillon" name threw me a bit  ... but can now see that it might have been meant to be "William" ??)

The only other way for you to check our records is to search through the BDM microfiche which are held by some libraries and if you find the folio number then we can check that particular record."

I just can't believe the above comment from NZ BDM.   Grrr !!!   They are SO annoying !!    I would surely have thought that they'd have their OWN copy of this microfiche index (but it seems not?   Amazing. )  ::)

But don't worry Annette, I'll have a look at the (microfiche) death index for you, and obtain the folio number (it's possible to check also just where the death was registered).    I'll get back to you.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 04:07 BST (UK) »
  ---   Did you manage to get in touch with the Auckland Central Library, who hold the burial lists for the Onehunga Roman Catholic Cemetery ??

It might be interesting to check whether there is a burial register entry for "Thomas Dillon SMITH"  ... (or do they have an entry for the correct name "William Thomas SMITH" ?).    ;)

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 04:14 BST (UK) »

http://www.aucklandcitylibraries.com/

>>  click on  "contact us"

Seems that they have an "ask a librarian" facility.

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu

Firstly, I have contacted the Library but have had no reply as yet.

Secondly, I started an email back to BMD, then decided to check what I was talking about and accidently sent it.  Here is the reply:

"The number you have given 1876/180 is a unique registration number for this death created when our records were scanned in 1999 - 2001, the folio number for this record is 1876/465.   Each page in a register had a folio number and there were  usually 5 records  on a page so they all had the same folio number, with records prior to 1875 having 8 - 10 records per page and so with the same  folio number.

The BDM microfiche lists the name of the person and the folio number only by year and type e.g. birth or death.

If we have transcription errors in the database resulting from when the  records were scanned around 1999 - 2001, often the only way we can find them is by using the folio number as these have not changed.

Thinking on from your initial request for William Thomas Smith if he was married then his wife's death should have his name recorded on it, if that is any help."

So am I correct and they have the Folio Number?  I have sent details of wife and children.

It did not take long to find the folio number if the number she quotes is it.

Confused

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

OH my goodness !!!    You have every right to be confused. 

[I'm sure you can see now, just why we sometimes want to "tear our hair out" in relation to matters concerning NZ BDM ?)   :D  :D  :D

Yes  ... they do appear to have the folio number  ... but what garbage this response contains (especially the piece about his wife's death).   ???

I think I'd send them (yet) another email (as they have the folio number for death of 'Thomas Dillon SMITH')  ... and ask if they can tell you just where this death was registered.
(Fingers crossed, you don't get another dopey reply.)   ;)

Lu

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Latest from BMD

"The folio number for the death for Thomas Dillon Smith is 1876/465.   

What I was alluding to was that if you wanted to check if there was another death record for William Thomas Smith you would need to search the fiche to locate a folio number.

We do not offer a searching service as such, so I have not checked for any other records, marriages, birth or deaths."

Am I right in assuming that if you find the folio on Fische, then the fische will contain all the information that would be on the printout.  The above also means, I assume that I should search the fische in case my William Thomas got missed out completely.

Awwwwwwwwww.

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 06:42 BST (UK) »
She did reply to my query as to where the death was registered with three words

"It was Auckland".

So don't think I am too popular with NZ BMD, don't want to start an across the channel war!!

Anyway so far we have dod correct, two out of three names correct, and place of death (presumably) correct, for Thomas Dillon Smith, being William Thomas Smith.

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 07:27 BST (UK) »
What a confusing lot this is!  Anyways, i live about 10 minutes from the church, so if you want a photo of any headstones let me know.  Best if you know roughly where the grave is situated in the yard also.  It's got quite a well looked after graveyard on it.  Church can be viewed on google maps as 126 Church street, Onehunga, Auckland.  Might have to do a pan of the maps though.  It starts on opposite of the street.  Church is very impressive and used by Pacific Islanders now.

The current church [constucted 1887ish] is actually on corner of Church and Galway sts...not Church and Victoria sts.  Victoria is 2 streets further along.

Message me with the details anyway [saves me cutting and pasting stuff left right and centre from the thread] and i'll see what i can do over the next few days, weather permitting!  It's not very nice here in Auckland at all at the moment!

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Charlie Bucket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 07:38 BST (UK) »
I live in Onehunga and it looks to me as if the photo is taken looking east with Church Street on the right of the photographer.
The graveyard had been rather neglected but over the past while, a man has been voluntarily planting and tending it so that it now looks very good.
Also, about 5 or 6 years ago, a group of people planted some oaks along the grass verge.This was done without council knowledge or permission.
Was I one of those people?

Regards, Charlie.
BURGESS (West Somerset)
TAKLE (West Somerset and Bristol)
QUICK (West Somerset)
STEAR/STEER (West Somerset)
KEEFE (Tipperary; Victoria, Australia; New Zealand)