Author Topic: Trimble Family of Enniskillen or maybe Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone  (Read 15190 times)

Offline samspike

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trimble Family of Enniskillen or maybe Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone
« on: Tuesday 02 June 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
My great, great, great, grandparents James and Margaret (Graham) Trimble migrated to the USA in the 1840s. James was born in Enniskillen (there has some speculation he actually was born in Tyrone of Pomeroy County) in 1814.

I plan to visit Ireland next year and would like to visit churches, cemeteries, and relatives .

Can anyone help me with names and addresses?

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trimble Family of Enniskillen or maybe Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Since registration of births started in 1864 you would need to search for church records to find family information but to do so you need to know their religion and where they lived. Pomeroy is in Co. Tyrone not 'Tyrone of Pomeroy County.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline samspike

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 03:41 BST (UK) »
aghadowey, thanks for the response. Any suggestions for finding living relatives by the name of Trimble in these locations?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Telephone directory will list some, not all, Trimbles.
There was an earlier thread about Trimbles of Enniskillen here on Rootschat:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ab705899c8d1d4cb5635cb895f7ccb1b&topic=169982.0
Since there were Trimbles connected to Impartial Reporter (Enniskillen paper) you might want to write a letter asking if anyone can help but since your family left Ireland so long ago the chances of actually finding relatives are quite slim.

www.culturenorthernireland.org/article.aspx?art_id=1062

If you put 'Trimble Enniskillen' into a search engine like Google lots of entries are listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline belcoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
The Enniskillen Trimbles from the Impartial Reporter were originally from Pomeroy.
 James Nevin Trimble, brother of the first proprietor born  1816 went to New York 1833 according to printed history of the family. Wife's name not given. Had daughter Ann and sons James and Starr. - Seamas Mac Annaidh

Offline BowMeow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descend of James and Margaret Trimble. MY line is their son Robert. Which is yours? Did you get to visit Ireland?

I have been trying to determine if James was born in Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone or Enniskillen. There is a John Trimble living in Co. Fermanagh during the Muster Roll some year in the 1630s. John is listed as having no armes and being in the Barony of Magherboy under Sir John Hume, Knight. There are several armed Graham's on this estate as well.

Other Graham's (Graham was considered to be a Scottish name) appear on the Castle Balfour estate. Some on the Barony of Clankelly - Armagh Manor. In total Graham's appear 29 times on various lands. Trimble appears once.

Offline trimble705

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Just some extra Info for all. Information found and PRONI (Public Records Office of Northern Ireland).
Pomeroy, County Tyrone Brothers were:
William Trimble(Enniskillen)
Robert Trimble(Pomeroy)
James Trimble (Pomeroy)
Sinclair Trimble

Sons & Daughters of William Trimble (Enniskillen)
William Copeland Trimble (From First Wife)
John Nevin Trimble (from First Wife)(Carrick-on-Shannon)
Robert Sinclair Halliday Trimble
Samuel Douglas Trimble (Ballyshannon)
Daughter - Elizabeth Emily Trimble (mentioned in will as Elizabeth Groves) married a man named Ferguson from Australia.
Daughter - Jeannette Trimble married a Stewart.

William Copeland Trimble had a newspaper business in Enniskillen. He had a son named John Nevin Trimble who lived for awhile at Carrick on Shannon. William Copeland Trimble lived for awhile at Portadown. His mother was Anne Trimble and father William Trimble.

The Paper Company he owned was the Fermananagh Reporter Office and the Enniskillen Printing Works.

Samuel Trimble was a brother to William Copeland Trimble. Samuel was from Ballyshannon.

John Nevin Trimble went to Canada and a letter from William Copeland Trimble is on file. Also William had a daughter named Elizabeth Emily who married an Autralian called Ferguson. They had a daughter named Emily Jane Ferguson.

Will of William Trimble of Enniskillen says:

Leaves one shilling to son John Nevin Trimble and one shilling to his sisters.
Also says John Nevin Trimble is William's son of first marriage.
- Says William passes on copyright of newspaper called the Impartial Reporter and Fermanagh Cavan and Leitrim Farmers Journal, including all types, pressess, machinery and all house hold furniture to William Copeland Trimble.
Son Samuel Douglas Trimble to get three hundred pounds instalments 50 pounds half yearly.
Son Robert Sinclair Halliday Trimble to get one shilling.
daughter Elizabeth Groves one shilling.
daughter Jeanette Stewart one shilling
and brither Robert to get 50 pounds.
Will was Jan 16, 1888.

Cheers

Steve

Offline LodgeLady2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
I just recently took a trip to Enniskillen in Fermanaugh County, Ireland.  I was very excited to find a butcher shop called J. Trimble Meats there, and also that a Trimble family had owned the "Impartial Reporter" for many generations. 

My great-great-great grandfather on my father’s side, James Trimble (married Margaret Elizabeth Graham), came to the US with his family from Enniskillen, Fermanagh County, Ireland, in 1846 when his son, my great-great grandfather Robert Trimble, was six months old.  My great-grandfather's name was John Edgar Trimble, my grandfather's name was also John Edgar Trimble, and my father's name is Charles Edgar Trimble.  Myself, my father, and my grandfather are all from Pennsylvania. 

If anyone knows anything about my family and if they are somehow connected to the Trimbles still in Fermanaugh County, I would love to know more. 
Trimble (Enniskillen, Fermanagh County), Carpenter (Dublin)

Offline BowMeow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 May 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
samspike... Which of James and Margaret (Graham) Trimble's children are you descended from? I am from the line of their son Robert Trimble.

Thru RootsChat I have connected with a cousin from James and Margaret's son Robert's line and am looking for others. There is much to learn and to share. Any other descendants of James and Margaret Trimble or of one of their children?

Also would love to hear from someone who lives in Co Fermanagh and/or who knows a Trimble or two.