Author Topic: searching for any info on MC GAFFINS.  (Read 2222 times)

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for any info on MC GAFFINS.
« on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
hi there, wondering if anyone can help me with any info regarding my late grandfather, william thomas mcgaffin, b.11th mar 1900, d.18 mar 1995, age 95 years. for 10 or more years in the 20's and 30's he and his wife lived in conniticut, and 4 of their children were born there; william junior, vaughan,ermano and jean. the family returned to northern ireland and a further 2 children were born here, one of them, kathleen elizabeth, my late mother(1936-2001), the other irene.the years in the states are somewhat of a mystery and we know very little about those years; we didn't ask enough questions when granda was alive. any help v. much appreciated. thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for any info on MC GAFFINS.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Could this be the family?:
There's a William T. McGaffin age 30 born Scotland with wife Mary E. (30) and children William G. (2) and Mary (1) living in Manchester, Hartford, Connecticut in 1930 Census.
17 May 1926 "Cameronia" arrived New York from Glasgow: William Thomas McGaffin, occupation- hand model, wife Mrs. Mary McGaffin 4 McLean St. Partick Glasgow going to Manchester, Conn.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
yes! i think this could be them! vaughans first name was mary, and william was the oldest. i am so excited to get this first piece of info. the next two children were born in the states i think? ermano and jean??? thanks for your help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
Details of recent events can often be difficult to find due to availablity of records because of privacy laws, etc. and Rootschat policy doesn't allow posting details of living, or possibly living people.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Connecticut City Directories

1926 - Removed to Scotland
1927 - William T. McGaffin 12 Newman St. Manchester, Connecticut
1929 - William T. McGaffin 129 Cooper St. Manchester, Connecticut
1930 - William T. McGaffin (Mary E.) 123 Walnut St. Manchester, Connecticut
1930 - William T. McGaffin (Mary E.) 125 Cooper St. Manchester, Connecticut
1932 - William T. McGaffin (Mary E.) 26 Cottage Manchester, Connecticut
1933 - Removed to Ireland

On the 1930 Census it says William immigrated 1924 and Mary 1926...so maybe he went back to Scotland to get her in 1926.

merjones

Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
September 1932 UK Incoming passengers on the ship California

McGaffin, William, age 32 Lough View. Bleary, Portadown, Down
McGaffin, Mary, age 32
McGaffin, William age 4
McGaffin, Mary age 3
McGaffin, Jean age 11 months

The year of 1932 would corroborate the City Directory above.

merjones
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
There is an outgoing UK passenger list at Find My Past for Wm McGaffin (indexed as McGuffin), 4 McLean St, Partick, Glasgow, plater, age 23 who sailed on the Athenia which departed from Glasgow on 13 Sep 1923 bound for Montreal. There isn't a corresponding Canadian passenger list available.

All from Ancestry:

There is a border crossing document which shows William McGaffin, 23, ship plater, was debarred when trying to cross the border into the US at Niagara Falls, New York in Sep 1923. There is a stamp that says "quota exceeded". Twelve other individuals were debarred for the same reason on the same page. I couldn't find another border crossing document but he obviously made it across the border later.

William McGaffin departed from New York on the Celtic and arrived in Liverpool on 25 Jan 1926. His proposed address was 4 McLean Street, Partick, Glasgow. He was 25 and a machinist. His last permanent residence was USA and his intended future permanent residence was listed as Scotland.  

William Thomas McGaffin sailed on the Cameronia which departed from Glasgow and arrived in New York on 17 May 1926. It indicates he was 26 and a machine hand. He said his last permanent residence was in Manchester, USA. The name and address of his nearest relative in the country from where he came was wife: Mrs. Mary McGaffin, 4 McLean Street, Partick, Glasgow. His destination was Manchester, Connecticut.

Mary Elizabeth McGaffin sailed on the Carmania which departed from Belfast and arrived in New York on 29 Mar 1927. The passenger list indicates she was 27 and born in Gilford, Northern Ireland. Her last permanent address was Portadown, Northern Ireland. Her nearest relative in the country from which she came was mother: Mrs. M. McDowell, Bleary, Portadown. She was going to join her husband, Mr. W.T. McGaffin in South Manchester, Connecticut.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
I found another border crossing document. The date had been mistranscribed so I missed it before.

William McGaffin crossed the border at Buffalo, New York on 1 Oct 1923. He indicates he was 23, a ship plater and was born in Scotland. His last permanent residence was Glasgow and his nearest relative in the country from where he came was his father, Wm. He says he was going to Amsterdam, New York. He was going to join James McGaffin, Lyn or Lym Street. He indicates he arrived in Quebec on 22 Sep 1923 aboard the Athenia.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McDowell Pentland McGaffin
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census, Joseph and Mary are in Gilford apparently connected to Essy McDowell.  Essy is Essey Purdy, wife of William Alexander McDowell who has a brother Joseph McDowell born 1874 to James McDowell and Mary Pentland.  So this is your Joseph.   Brother George McDowell went to Amsterdam, NY.  Robert and Margaret Chambers (2nd wife) were James's parents. 

One researcher of Bleary McGaffins says Thomas and Elizabeth Murphy had son William b. 1873 who went to Scotland as his marriage record is there.  There is some confusion about Elizabeth Farrell being married to Thomas, but the marriage record stated Murphy was the mother of William.   William's brother James married Sarah Campbell whose child Thomas went to Amsterdam in 1903,.  Thomas's brother James followed brother Thomas.  Lynn might refer to  Esther Lynn, a cousin of the McMurrays who had a McGaffin husband as I am not sure the McGaffins ever lived on Lynn Street.

The McGaffins were spread among Massachusetts, NY, and Connecticutt in the US.