Author Topic: Bakewell Genealogy Questions  (Read 13285 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bakewell Genealogy Questions
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 June 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
A sad Monica - my computer has just crashed and on husband's laptop which is no use to me at all  :'(

I also think I had a complete mental crash with my reference to surname Shakespeare, this was to do with a search I was doing earlier  :P

I think we should hold off on guessing on Josiah's likely family until we get some confirmation from his marriage cert. There are potentially at least three sets of parents who it could be.

Do you have access to Ancestry.com. I only have the UK version. I did see a Bakewell family tree for Josiah and Mary Ann. Seems fairly comprehensive and includes details on sons Samuel and Josiah (Jesse) and descendents. It also includes images for censuses for the family from 1850 - 1930. Two things to note though:

1. It has no additional info on Josiah and Mary Ann's parents and siblings and their origins.
2. There seems to be a bit of a mix up on the data with the other Josiah and Mary that we have found on the English censuses.

In the main though, there is a lot of information which I am not sure if you have and would be worthwhile you checking.

You could also try contacting the tree owner, if not known to you, to try to compare notes  :)

I'm going to go off now and scream in a dark room until I figure out my current computer crisis   ???

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 June 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Monica dont scream too loud I may hear you all the way over the pond! Josiah's two boys were Sidney V. and Jesse J. and both are buried on my families plot. I was unaware of there being (possibly) three sets of parents!!! I have been trying to track more information down all day (been working on it since 7am).

I did find out that Mary Vernon's family owned the town of Bakewell back in the 16th century which is just very interesting. That is what I can gather from preliminary searches but I will have to track down the descendants from that line and see if I can tie them in with Mary Ann Vernon and her parents.

I really think I have found a new hobby! Let me know what you find out and I will continue plugging away over here. I will work on getting my hands on that marriage certificate

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell
SEARCHING FOR: Bakewell Family Information

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 June 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Im currently on that site trying to get the marriage certificate but I have no idea if I filled it out properly. Does this look proper?

Year     Qtr     District        Vol     Page     Reg     Ent No     DOR
1841   Jun   Kings Norton    18       483       

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 June 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Looks ok to me :)
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 June 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
"I did find out that Mary Vernon's family owned the town of Bakewell back in the 16th century which is just very interesting. That is what I can gather from preliminary searches but I will have to track down the descendants from that line and see if I can tie them in with Mary Ann Vernon and her parents."

How did you get that information?  I know the "manners" and "Vernons" are part of folklore in Bakewell but where does your research fit in?
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 June 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
I was doing research on the gene line and I came across a possible distant relative that, according to the source, the town went to the Manner's in 1567 with the marriage of Dorothy Vernon and John Manners. I have no hard facts yet other than a name but its pretty interesting regardless  8). I have no idea the truth behind any of the stuff but im just going to present anything I find so that everyone can take a look at it. Its all very exciting  ;)

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 June 09 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  You asked how many Bakewells in an earlier post:  from FreeBMD (births, marriages, deaths in UK) found at http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ we get the following figures from 1837 - whenever (varies):

Births - 2713
Deaths - 1629
Marriages - 1592

FreeBMD is a resource that will be very helpful to you and should be explored.

I would caution not to go too far back too fast.  If you are only interested in Bakewells you might consider doing a "one name study".  It sounds like you know all of your Bakewell ancestors back to Josiah and Mary Ann, so documenting parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc. as much as possible while awaiting Josiah's wedding cerrtificate would be good if not already done.  Keeps one from chewing fingernails until the mail arrives.

Nick

McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 06 June 09 03:11 BST (UK) »
Nick thanks so much! I have been looking into FreeREG and am unsure if its the same thing? I will certainly look into that! And yes, I do know all of my ancestors back until 1818 and I just cannot figure out Josiah's parents. I am going to try and contact those that have it to make sure it is what I need and that it has the information on it.

What is the chance that the marriage license wouldnt have the parents listed?

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 06 June 09 03:26 BST (UK) »
It should have both his and Mary Ann's parents fathers listed, even if they were deceased at the time they married, unless they were unknown.

I was just looking at the Hughwallis site based on the find of Josiah and sibs being born in Warwick, and found something interesting:  It shows Josiah born 12 Feb 1816, but not christened until 26 Dec 1825.  Brother Thomas was also christened almost 2 years after birth.  Odd...

That is another site you will want to explore as you progress in your research since it has BMD prior to civil registration requirements in 1837;

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein