Author Topic: Bakewell Genealogy Questions  (Read 9267 times)

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bakewell Genealogy Questions
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 06 June 09 05:41 BST (UK) »
Nick, you sir have been incredibly helpful! I am still learning the search techniques on how to acquire information and informing me of where you found it is immensely helpful. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight because ill be thinking about this and that regarding the family, its so interesting

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell
SEARCHING FOR: Bakewell Family Information

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 06 June 09 06:01 BST (UK) »
Happy to be of some help - many people have helped me over the years.

Just be sure to take everything with a large helping of salt until it is proven.  For instance, there is a good possibility that the William J. Bakewell you found

"...was originally an English Unitarian, then a Low Churchman ó has since returned to the Episcopal Church."
could well be a different person since this appears in a book about "Founding families of Pittsburgh".  Too little info to make a determination as yet.

I've been burned before by uncommon names that were in no way unique.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.†  -Robert Heinlein

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 06 June 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Still adrift on husband's laptop (all my p/words etc are stuck in cyber land at present :-\)

From my searches yesterday (and you know how working off memory can go horribly wrong as when I had my Shakespeare moment† ::)),† you need to tread with care on potential parents for Josiah - Mary Ann's we are more confident on at the moment until you get confirmation from the MC).

These are the possible sets of parents I came across yesterday:

1. RICHARD BAKEWELL and ISABELLA BURCHELL    
Marriage: 21 NOV 1807 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick

If you do a parent search on IGI for their children, interesting set of names quite in line with naming of a Josiah.

2. WILLIAM BAKEWELL and SARAH JENNINGS
Marriage: 15 APR 1811 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

I think from the list of children you posted for a William B. and a Sarah, there is a possibility that you are mixing up children for this couple and the one below.

3. WILLIAM JOHNSTON BAKEWELL and SARAH NEEDHAM
Marriage: 02 JAN 1821 St Annes, Liverpool, Lancashire

This is the couple who show as having migrated to the US (from memory - so health warning!) I think I found them in PA in 1850 and William showed as a 'teacher'. This family also has a tree on Ancestry.

4. THOMAS BAKEWELL and SARAH GLOVER
Marriage: 06 MAY 1809 Trentham, Stafford

I include this couple as they show on IGI as having a son Josiah in 1817 in Stone, Stafford.

Monica† :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 06 June 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
I completely agree with you guys and gals! I have no hard facts as of yet but sifting through all of it is pretty exciting, and yes I have taken it with many grains of salt. The hardest part is that the names back then were so common that it is hard to distinguish between who is whom.

I didnt know you had a Shakespeare moment recently  ;). I just wish I knew with any amount of clarity who Josiah's parents were. I will certainly be acquiring that MC as soon as I can but I just want to make sure it has what I need. I shall be placing a call for across the pond quite soon I have a feeling  8)

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 06 June 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that my grandmother was right and his parents are named William and Sarah but for Sarah's last name I have no evidence and little insight. Looking at what you posted it seems that #2 best fits but lets see what that MC says! Thanks again so much

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 06 June 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
You might find this site interesting

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/bakewell.html

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 06 June 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you! I had come across that site a few years ago when I was looking things up for my grandmother and now I think I know where im going to spend my honeymoon  ;D

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline Cynsilvrmn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 23 December 17 07:01 GMT (UK) »
J. Bakewell.  My husbandís grandmother was Marjorie Bakewell. She died this year at the age of 103.