Author Topic: William Sauntry (Santry) of Kinsale and wife Margaret Clarey  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Sauntry (Santry) of Kinsale and wife Margaret Clarey
« on: Friday 05 June 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
From records of their daughter Margaret Sauntry, married 1855 Rincurran to William Moore, at this time her father William Sauntry was a fisherman, Victoria, Australia ricords tell us that her mother was Margaret Cleary.
Baptism of a Bridget Santry, daughter of William Santry (misspelled Saunthy) and Margaret Cleary 24 September 1826, Father: Saunthy Will, Mother: Cleary Margaret, Child: Saunthy Bridget, Witnesses: Denis Casey and Margaret Kidney.
They lived at Crosshaven, a seaport village - from records of Frank Thompson, New York.
William, Margaret and daughter Bridget all seem to have died as Santry in Kinsale, 1876, 1883, and 1880 respectively.
Florence and Jeremiah seem to be Santry/Sauntry names for sons passed down thru the years.
When Margaret Moore died in Victoria, Australia, it is stated her father was a Pilot.
The internet throws up a William Sauntry and Ellen, ancestors of Bing Crosby, also from Kinsale, Our William was born about 1797.
I am hoping someone can advise how I can learn more about my branch of this family?

Offline msauntry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: William Sauntry (Santry) of Kinsale and wife Margaret Clarey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 07:17 GMT (UK) »
I can get you from William (1808-1848) and Ellen [Harrigan] in Dromkeal (city of Ballydehob, Schull parish), Cork to Bing Crosby. I am a descendant of Ellen. She emigrated to the Americas after William died in the famine.
Sadly my trail goes cold with William. Other than Ellen (and a good chunk of her info, having 10 siblings) and their children, I do not have any further information (parent, siblings, etc.).

Was your baptism information from Ireland or from Australia?

If this branch interests you at all, visit http://www.myheritage.com/site-697491/sauntry-family and request access.

-Mark

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kiwicol,

I found a baptism for Margaret Santry 30 Mar 1833 in the Irish genealogy website.

see entry

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/cork%20%26%20ross.kinsale.p4800.00480.pdf

The baptism you have for Bridget doesn't seem to be in it, as you mentioned they were in Crosshaven at the time of her baptism and those records are not on irish genealogy.

There are other children for William Santry & Peg ( which is a pet name for Margaret) or Margaret
in some cases.  They lived at Worlds end for the first baptism for Ellen 14 Jan 1829 and
they had two girls baptised  30 May 1831  Mary & Johanna.

I didn't find any sons for them.

Go into www.irishgenealogy.ie and key in Santry in surname field and kinsale for place and there
are 88 entries.  There are a lot of other Santry entries for the City and West Cork.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

You mentioned Margaret Santry/Moore's father was a pilot, I presume this is a boat pilot (especially
if he lived in both Kinsale & Crosshaven.

I remember sending you photos previously of World's end, Scilly and a headstone in the Old Abbey cemetery Kinsale.   

You might have seen these entries already
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 13 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Please note that the irishgenealogy.ie website does include the baptisms and marriages of Crosshaven parish, 1826-1880. Crosshaven and Carrigaline were the same parish.

Offline bea16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to the forum, but note that you are discussing my family from Cork/Vic, Aust.
William Joseph Moore m Margaret Theresa Sauntry in 1855 in the parish church of Rincunan, Cork by the rites of the united church of England and Ireland.
They departed per Thomas Arbuthnot 1857 with pars Edward and Elizabeth Moore and sister Mary Moore.
My g grandfather was Florens Domenick Moore son of William and Marg. He and his RC bride Mary Ellen O'Rourke moved to Marrickville, Sydney, NSW.
I did alot of hands on research in the early 90's and even visited Kinsale and Ballyfeard IRE with 3 small children in tow, and a very understanding husband.
I wonder if there is any interest out there in regards to their Australian families and I would love to discover the impact of a mixed religion marriage (C/E and RC) in Ireland in those days.
My mum is C/E and my dad Moore is RC. My sister and I are C/E.
Funny how families bend with the times!
Pithers,Nichols,Biggs,Payne,Thompson,Tierney, Done,Dunn,Hobson,McMahon,Miller,Packham,Bull
Moore,Sauntry,Drynan,Cleary,ORourke,OGorman,
Colghan,Rossiter,Lansden,Lansdown,Tyndall,
Tindale,Wells,Syme,Alloway,Davies,Ems,Buck,
Flood,Farrell,Donovan,Lawler,Aspery,Asprey,Dunn
Barry,McCarthy,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 16 13:37 BST (UK) »

Hi Bea16,

There are still some Santry families in Kinsale as I'm sure there must be Moores too.

I am not related to these families but hope some relations will make contact with you on this site.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,