Author Topic: Ralph Emmerson of Willington  (Read 3615 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Emmerson of Willington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 June 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread,but thought I'd reply anyway. I have links via my fathers Elliott family to Emersons from Wham in Weardale and on all the census results it is Emerson with a single "m". Wondered if the Ralph Emmerson born Willington 1816 was definitely "mm"? I know name spellings changed,my Elliott was Elliot until about the mid 1800's, but as far as I can see that whole line of Emersons (who are also related to my Grandmother Stobbs side) were always "m".
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Juninho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Per Mare Per Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just found this thread. Strange but true, I am at my caravan in Stanhope at the moment. I am also descended from Emersons and Rutherfords etc from Weardale. I will be back home at the weekend and see if I have any info of interest to you. As has already been said lots of Emmersons with the same name from here.I was introduced to a local historian by a friend in Stanhope some years ago and she told me there are a lot of volumes of Emmersons in the Durham archives. Not been there for quite a while but another avenue maybe.

Martin
Lowery.Lowrey.Lowry etc-Durham,Northumberland
Stephenson- Durham
Howgego- All
Maughan, Maugham- Durham
Reavley- Durham
Dixon- Durham
Emmerson-Weardale
Rutherford-weardale

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 June 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
I also have an Emerson connection on Dad's Elliott side as well as his Stobbs side, but very few family photos unfortunately. If you "do" facebbok you might like to try the Weardale family history page and old Weardale photos as Paul Emerson (from Emersons in Weardale and Teesdale) is admin'. My Great Great Grandfather Thomas Elliott should really have been an Emerson as his father was an Emerson and Mother an Elliott, but they never married. Most of my ancestors are from Ireshopeburn and higher up the Dale. On my Grandmothers Stobbs side, 3 of her father's sister married Emersons and they were all cousins!
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Juninho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Per Mare Per Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 June 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, and any other interested Em(m)erson searchers;

Back home and searching for papers. Just come across this by chance if you haven't got it already.
http://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ark/32150_s1xp68kg331.xml
Lots of references to Emersons and Stobb(e)s up the dale early 1600,s.
My Mum and Aunty took up my work on the dales ancestors (their families). Emersons, Rutherfords and Stephensons; of  Stanhope, Westgate, Browningside from a quick glance. Everything is still boxed from a house move but gradually getting through it. I will try and put something together before I go back to work on Monday.
 By coincidence, going back to earlier in the thread, we are going to see a friend of ours on Tuesday who is a Raine, descended from a family up the dale. Small world.

Best wishes,

Martin 
Lowery.Lowrey.Lowry etc-Durham,Northumberland
Stephenson- Durham
Howgego- All
Maughan, Maugham- Durham
Reavley- Durham
Dixon- Durham
Emmerson-Weardale
Rutherford-weardale

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 June 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
Yes, the Weardale chest. I have a book which was my Grandmother's (Elliott nee Stobbs) called Weardale names of field and fell by William Morley Egglestone and amongst other things it lists the surnames and when they date back to. Can't remember which is oldest out of Elliot(t) and Stobbs but Emerson is one of the oldest. I also have a Raine somewhere maybe about 4 generations back. I know the lady who has the Post Office in St John's Chapel is a Raine. Small gene pool back even in the 1800's and it wasn't uncommon for cousins and second cousins to marry. My Grandmother and Grandfather shared the same Great grandparents. It definitely was a small world up the dale. Makes for a diffcult process of doing the family tree!