Author Topic: Death March Lamsdorf 1945  (Read 3227 times)

Offline JuanToomany

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death March Lamsdorf 1945
« on: Tuesday 09 June 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello folks. My dad spent the last 3 years of the war at Stalag 8b/344. I have his army records but wondered if there was any way I could find out if he had been forced to take part in the death march....any assistance would be much appreciated

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death March Lamsdorf 1945
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/134484.html

You may find some info on the above link..theres a message board in there.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JuanToomany

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ady.......I have already been through this site and unfortunately I couldnt determine an answer to my question from it.....appreciate your help just the same

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 09 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello folks. My dad spent the last 3 years of the war at Stalag 8b/344. I have his army records but wondered if there was any way I could find out if he had been forced to take part in the death march....any assistance would be much appreciated

Hi Juan,
             the majority of P.O.W. made a Report when they were Liberated. These Reports are at The National Archives. WO344/320/2 would be the File if he made such a report.

The inmates of Stalag 344 started the march in two groups,one 24hrs after the other. The first group were ill equipped and poorly provisioned with only one R.A.M.C. Officer travelling with them.
Although the conditions were just as bad for the second group they were much better provisioned for the march.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline JuanToomany

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again I have been on to the National Archive but they are not prepared to do a search and have advised me to employ my own researcher. This would be a costly business Im guessing and searching is free. Unfortunately as I am in Edinburgh I am unable to do this. I was wondering if any of the good people on this site were visiting the Archive anytime and whether I could trouble them to have a wee look for me

Offline JuanToomany

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I have had a friend in London check to see if my father made a report but sadly he didnt. Does anyone know of any way I can find out if he was part of the march or not? Any assistance appreciated

Offline Robchas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi J there's another list and also the Red Cross provides info on those liberayed soldiers etc. My dad marched and went to another Stalag 13 so i know after he got caught at Dieppe. It's  late in Australia  but I'll  check for name of the other discussion list. Each prisoner got POW  numbered but some only went to Lamsdorf from Dieppe. Good luck I'll  post with name of list. God luck internet helps. ..

Offline Robchas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi J it's  called Stalag VIIIB discussion and gotten with a Google or from Lamsdorf website.  They seem to think everyone marched. Its part of disc.yourwebapps. if asking for info mention your dads name rank and unit and where captured perhaps  as well as dates liberated  and anyother stalag he stayed in .. . There was a war crimes trial that had a few witnesses and quite a few pages about the SS that harmed POWs on march etc.   Again good luck et grace