Author Topic: St Anne's Nursing Home 1940's  (Read 17026 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Anne's Nursing Home 1940's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine.  I hope the following information will help slightly, if you contact that tel.no. they may be able to give you some baptism details but make sure you have as much information to hand as possible to give them ie: your mum's name and maiden name and possibly her date of birth as well.

Unfortunately, on some occasions the babies names were changed when they were adopted but you could try the Birth, Death and Marriage Registry office in Abergavenny too!  Good luck with your search.

Nannie Mcphee
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline kathryn joanne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
hi my mums maiden name was martin first name murial ann her date of birth was 4-9-46 or 47 what number can i ring for information
         thank you KATHRYN X

Offline kathryn joanne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information is great help if any more please let me know e mail 
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Welshbird

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
I have always known that I was adopted, but yesterday I found out that my mother came over from Ireland to have me and after much deliberation gave me up for adoption, I stayed with her at St Anne's until I was 6 weeks old and was then given away to my Mum & Dad.  I can't begin to imagine how difficult this would have been, I've just read stories on another site about how nice the nun's were I truly hope my birth mothers experience was the same. I was born in April 1970 at Lydia Beynon Maternity Hospital.

Offline gianlorac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 October 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I received a message from someone on MONH telling me to try contacting the Archbishop of Cardiff regarding St Annes.  I did this last night and received this reply today which has also been very helpful.  So, as I said, I will be contacting the lady concerned to get more details from her and will get back to the Archbishops address to see if he can be of any help.  Will let you all know what happens but thank you all for your help on here.  I know the lady herself would also like to thank you as she had given up any hope of 'finding her past'.

To think I am moaning because I cannot get any further back than 1754.....shame on me!

Nannie McPhee

"Thank you for your email.  We are looking into this and my Vicar General has been in touch with the parish in Chepstow.    Apparently there was a refuge/home run by religious sisters in the area in the 1940’s, and we hope to find out more details about that and which Religious Congregation ran the home.   However, Church records will only record Baptism, so we are trying to find out where births in that area would have been registered – possibly Abergavenny.  Once we know that, you could get in touch with the relevant Register Office for a search.

It would be helpful if you could let me know the name of the person concerned and if you have a more specific date.  You could either email this information if you have it, or by all means give me a ring here at Archbishop’s House:   029  2022  0411.

With every kind wish,

+ Peter

Hello again,

I would like to say that it was not a Refuge for Vietnamise people.

It was a Home for Un-married Mothers to be!
The girls stayed at the home for 6 weeks prior to thier babies being born, then after the birth they would stay possibly for a further 6 weeks or until thier babies were taken from them & put into Foster homes awaiting adoption!!

I lost touch with all of the girls that were there at my time & can no longer remember any names.  I do have some photos somewhere though!!
It was a very troubled time for us as you can imagine!

If you need any further information please ask and I'll help if I can.

Hello Adetoon

My friend happened to have been born there in 1964, a little while before your time.  Her baptism was passed on to her by the Archbishops Office and she managed, after a long haul, to find who her birth mother was but has not, as yet, plucked up the courage to be in contact.

As you say, thankfully you were very lucky to have kept your bundle of joy, I cannot imagine how it would have been having to give my daughter up.  Her dad and I were given all the help there was, we married and had a lovely 42 years together until he died 2 years ago.  I will pass your info onto my friend anyway, so thanks for that.

Offline gianlorac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 October 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
I was in St Annes Convent in 1964 and the nuns were wonderful. I was there about three months. Would love to hear from anyone who was there between April and July 1964

Offline gianlorac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
I was in St Annes Convent in 1964 and the nuns were wonderful. I was there about three months. Would love to hear from anyone who was there between April and July 1964
  Looking for Ann from Scotland and Helen from Gerrard's Cross to tell them I found my son in 2007..Carol.

Offline gianlorac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 15:33 BST (UK) »
Babies born at Lydia Beynon in Newport and who stayed at St Anne's Convent in Chepstow were registered in Chepstow, as my baby was.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
I found my son in 2007..Carol

What wonderful News Carol.

Kathryn's email notifications have stopped working, I will see what I can find out.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk