Author Topic: Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland  (Read 17533 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong / Blakely of Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 August 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Sue,

I have some clarification faster than I thought I would.  We do know (from my grandfather who died 67 years ago) that the family was in Ireland during the plantation period, perhaps earlier, so that would exclude your link.  The question is moot now, but we have no DOB or DOD on this William. So far we only known when he wasn't alive according to his children's passage to Australia, and his birth would be an estimate.  It is evidently also a long line of William's that begat William's.

It was such a good try.  Thank you for jumping in with the information.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 August 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy
Ok ...you mean 1640s? Well I was sending the below post but your reply came up before I got the chance. I am still going to post it "just in case". You see...Back in the 60s someone wrote a genealogical Armstrong book. In it though they said "my" William was born in Fermanagh. His info was wrong and I have since disproved it. Sooooo...just in case , because I know that years back mistakes were made whereas today info can be more available...I am still sending my post. lol Can never hurt! lol
   That is fine. No problem.....just please if you do find something let me know. I too will try contacting my "Irish" cousin to see where exactly the William info came from. I was told by another cousin that he had possibly immigrated to America...but have had little luck looking...especially since the name "William Armstrong" was so common. And many immigrants only put "from Ireland" on their records. As I said I DO have info on this line back to Scotland....and on some of the descendents.

Your info intrigued me...though possibly just coincidence...can always hope right? lol As I said there are "other" names that I feel are missing. And since 3 of these siblings (that I know of ) immigrated to America, and some to Australia,...I know families tended to follow each other...many times settling in  or near others, even cousins or in-laws. The Copeland I mentioned prior went to Melborne , Victoria, Australia. They ended up living in/near Warragul....just out of curiousity...where did your Catherine end up living? Oh....Derryvullan is a parish where some (I believe) my Armstrongs were christened and/or married. Another clue perhaps? lol

Are there any other "middle" names? Surnames? Odd first names? Let me explain....

In my previous post..I wrote....

William and Janes Children were born from 1795 - 1812 < possibly further but last one I have was 1812. There names were:
Hugh ?
Mary < William's sister's name
Jardine < William's mother's maiden name
John < William's father's name
Nicholina < William's mother's first name was "Nicholas"
George < William's brother's name
Alexander <?????
Georgina? < feminine form of George?
Jane < Jane the mother's name
William.......*****< William the father's name
Montgomery < mother Jane's maiden name

See where I am going?Also names that married into this line, "brother-in-laws" whose names were used by descendents and can be clues.....Moore, Bracken, Copeland, Johnston, Buchanan, & Richey.
Scott was a cousin's last name as was Wright. If any of these were used by your line would be VERY interesting.

Well TC Good luck.....Keep me in mind!

Sue

PS....Oh well...if anything was a good try! lol TC

Well....please just keep me in mind.
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 August 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Catherine was living in one of the suburbs of Sydney, possibly Ashfield / Concord area.  I am in the process of ordering transcripts that might give me some more clues from Australia, but it is evolving daily.

I will keep all of your information at hand and watch for any possible connection and if not mine maybe I will find something that is relevant to your kin.  My grandfather went back to Australia and notes in his diary that he spent a day in 1898 talking to his aunt about family history, but did he write any of it down?
And the last conversations with his daughter was 70 years ago, long before anyone was really paying attention to the details.  I guess my point is, like you imply, anything can happen.

Thanks again for all of your information. Have a good weekend.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors were Armstrong/Irvine from Enniskilen, Fermanagh,  Philip Armstrong md Margaret Irvine, of BALLYHILL. One of sons was JOHN ARMSTRONG who, in turn, had a son WILLIAM.

Maybe connected?   Lorraine
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 January 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Armstrong is a very, very common Fermanagh surname, Lorraine. Perhaps if you could post dates (or even approx. dates) it might help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
K.MURRAY .........  This might be of some help.  1767/1845 St.Mary's Church  Ardess marriages.transc. Geo.Armstrong.
1801 ANDREW BLEAKLEY/BLAKELY to JANE ARMSTRONG. Go to Fermanagh GOLD members Genealogy page hit online database Fermanagh. Type in Armstrong. Lots of Armstrong marriages. Possibility this Bleakly is yours?

Lorraine/Lorc

RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline Jameyliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 January 10 04:15 GMT (UK) »
hi
I have come across your posting and you mentioned a James Armstrong was missing in your names could any of the following information on a marriage cert. be of any link:
James Armstrong (GameKeeper) wife Jane McNight
Daughter Margaret Armstrong married 1852 age 22 at
Enniskillen. Her address: Castle Archdale
Husband Irvine Cheaney
Witness  at wedding - Thomas Armstrong & John McDonagh
Arrived Australia (NSW) 1855 on Rajastan
Son John died during voyage
My email address is not working sorry

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Lorraine,

Thank you for the direction, I will look in to it asap.  I haven't visited this site for awhile, so sorry for the delay in responding.
KM

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Jamey,

Thank you as well.  It doesn't sound like it fits but I will keep the information on file just in case.

KM