Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Obituary of John JACK 1908 Newtownstewart.  (Read 12687 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary John JACK 1908
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Death notices in our newspapers usually read like this: Died at his residence, Omagh, on 5 June, John Smith, aged 37 years (often and age is omitted and relatives not mentioned except in the case of small children (will say infant daughter of... or a wife's notice might say wife of or relict of the late...). Soemtimes a place of burial is mentioned but more often it isn't.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary John JACK 1908
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 July 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Once again thank you aghadowey.  I am hoping that it is an obituary not simply a death notice.  I know where he is buried....in the WELSH/JACK vault in the Old Ardstraw [Abbey] graveyard.  Photo taken in Aug 2009  The Magheralcolton branch of the JACK family was related, through John's mother, Elizabeth WELSH, to John KNOX the Scottish reformer.  Elizabeth's grandfather Andrew WELSH was the Presbyterian minister at Ardstraw from 1733 to 1779.  Andrew WELSH died in 1781 and was buried in the family vault in the Old Ardstraw graveyard.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary of John JACK 1908 Newtownstewart
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is your Jack family related to Robert Jack of Glenglush, Ardstraw who died in 1788?

Regards
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 June 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerrie

Do you have the name of his father or spouse or children?

Cheers
Cando

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 June 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando
I don't know anything about Robert Jack (other than the info on the internet about his parents and siblings going to the USA) except that a relative of mine, Samuel Craig took over his farm in Glenglush when Jack died in 1788.  Robert Jack was buried with Craig family members so I wondered if he was somehow related to the family.

Regards
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline lexiabain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jack family of Ardstraw area
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 October 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
You can connect these families through the will of Anne Jack (d 1870 Ireland) and the wind up of the estate of Allen Jack (d 1813 Wilkes-Barre, America). Their fathers were siblings; and it is quite possible through the information given in these records to construct a family tree.
As far as I can determine the Jacks arrived in the Ardstraw area around 1712, many of them left for America and records exist of them through generations of people wanting to claim descent from one of the soldiers involved in the various American wars. Funny way of working out Irish family history...
I can't yet prove who Allen and Anne's great-grandfather Jack was, but one of the sons of Patrick Jack and his wife Eleanor Jervis appears likely. Maybe Robert, maybe James (if he had issue from a first marriage), or maybe Andrew.
Lexia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
I have quite a lot of information on my line of the JACK family in Tyrone, New Zealand,  USA and Canada and Australia.

I do have a copy of the Will of Anne JACK and .......

370. An act authorizing the executors of ANDREW JACK to sell and convey real estate.
Whereas, ALLEN JACK, late of Wilkesbarre, Luzerne county, died about the year 1813, intestate, unmarried and without issue, seized of real estate in the borough of Wilkesbarre, leaving a father, JOHN JACK, late of Meachey, in the county of Tyrone, Ireland.......

Allen JACK was the son of John JACK 1742-1832 and Olivia RODGERS.

The EDWARDS Papers (PRONI T/25/) claim that John JACKS' parents were William JACK and Agnes GIVEN however as you no doubt know, notes written by Elizabeth LOWTHER nee JACK stated that his parents were John JACK  and an Unknown ANDREWS.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 03:42 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot...welcome to rootschat.

I have sent you a Personal Message.

Cando