Author Topic: Moody family, Magilligan parish  (Read 12048 times)

Offline flicka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moody family, Magilligan parish
« on: Thursday 11 June 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. The earliest I have is Abraham James Hopkins Moody who was born in 1809 in Magilligan, parents John Moody and Mary Hopkins of Bolea. A brother of Abraham, born 1826, was stated to be of Gortmore Hall. The Ordnance survey map shows a Gortmore House but not a Gortmore Hall and having driven along the road from Magilligan Station "up the hill" I cannot remember a large house.
    Again, many thanks
Regards
Hi Everyone
l,m new to the site and am trying to find info on;
1750 Alexander Moody, born[abt 1750?],married abt 1772,to Priscilla Dick?or Dickey??don't know about her last name
Children are;
  [All Children may have be born at GORTMORE HOUSE,MAGILLIGAN, Northern Ireland??????????].
         1/ John Moody     born 13 /10/1774  Died 19/12/1854 Northern Ireland
         2/ Solomon Moody born 1776    Died  after 1850 NI
         3/ ?
         4/ ?                                     Died [Drowned]NI
         5/ Alexander Moody born 1778   Died
         6/ Nancy Moody     born 1784   Died  12 / 1865 at Lenamore NI    [NEVER MARRIED].
         7/ Israel Moody      born 1789   Died 13/12/1867 at  Nova Scotia,Canada         
         8/ James H Moody  born 1795?  Died   [1841 left for NY]with a Hannah aged 21yrs[daug?].

A Joseph Dick witnesses Israel Moody's will. Alexander died before 1813/14.
She died after 1814,she was also a widow around this time 1815.[see died at Lenamore Bellavena Co Ldy. maybe??].
[note a family member went to NI, & FOUND THE ABOVE CHILDREN]

Info on Priscilla [Dick] Moody: [1815 She was a widow, listed in Lenamore,Bellavena Parish,Co Londonderry, NI]

Second hand info;
Ann [Moody?],Wid ,Smith, Married 1819 Ireland------Witness ISRAEL MOODY [was he just a family friend??????????????.
William Kirkpatrick Child; Alexander James, bapt 1820 Ireland
[The family may have Imigrated to Australia after 1820, with check at this end].

l did read that a member had a photo of "GORTMORE HOUSE" l would love to get a copy of this if that is o.k ??

hope l have not made this  to hard to read
hope some one can help will paper work that can confirm this info

Members of the above family,s used to go to the Magilligan Presb Church from around 1700,s to well after 1880?
Parish priest used to be Rev Samuel Butler.

I have the picture of the grave of the Moody,s in St. Aidans R.C. churchyard ,
Many years ago Brian Mitchell was kind to go out there one Sunday with this family to take the photo for me,
l was very grateful

will stop for now and see what comes of this info
regard D

Northern Ireland-Moody,Shannon,Hopkins
,Wilson,Campbell,McCaskey,Cochran,Smith,

Wicklow -Merrigan, Lynch,Sullivan,White

Ireland- Cullen,Young,Prendergast

Norlfok England- Doughty,Gathercole,Griffin,Seekings,Tolladay,
Australia-Doughty, Moody,Merrigan,Cullen,Melbourne,

Essex England-Milbourn, Melbourne,Stock,Nash,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moody family, Magilligan parish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshat, Moody. I've reformatted yor post to make it a bit easier to read and split it from the other topic so that it won't get lost t the end of that thread.

To start with there's a few things that need clarified:

Quote from: Moody link=topic=386556.msg2584276#msg2584276
Bellavena Co Ldy. maybe??
Info on Priscilla [Dick] Moody: [1815 She was a widow, listed in Lenamore,Bellavena Parish,Co Londonderry, NI] 
This should be Bellarena not Bellavena.

Members of the above family,s used to go to the Magilligan Presb Church from around 1700,s to well after 1880?
Presbyterian ministers are not known as Parish priests. Only Church of Ireland (established Church) and Roman Catholic churches have parishes. R.C. clergy known as priests and C. of I clergy generally called rectors. Pressbyterian Churches are organised into Presbyteries which do not follow civil parish boundaries.
Rev. Samuel Butler was minister of Magilligan Presbyterian Church from 1814 until he retired in 1851 (he died 1862). The next minister was his nephew Hugh McIntyre Butler (minister 1851-1917- died 1930).
If your Moodys were Presbyterian I'm puzzled as to connection with burials in a R.C. graveyard. Most Presbyterians are buried in either Presbyterian or Church of Ireland graveyards.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Londonderry Sentinel, 13 Jan.1844: On Tuesday the 2nd inst., by the Rev. P. Finan, Newtownlimavady, Mr. Abraham J.H. Moody, of Gortmore House, Magilligan, to Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of Mr. Samuel Shannon, of Derrybeg.

Londonderry Sentinel, 11 July 1851: On the 8th inst., in the Presbyterian Church, Magilligan, by the Rev. William Irvine, Dungiven, Mr. John Moody, Gortmore, to Mary, daughter of Mr. William Campbell, Benone.

Londonderry Sentinel, 1 Sept.1857: At Portrush Presbyterian Church, on the 3rd inst., by the Rev. Jonathan Simpson, Mr. William Alexander Moody, of Gortmore, Magilligan, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. Cochrane Wilson, Ballyreagh, Ballywillan.

Londonderry Sentinel, 14 Oct.1859: On the 5th inst., Mary, relict of the late Mr. John Moody, Gortmore, Magilligan, aged 71 years.

This explains where Solomon Moody went!:
Londonderry Sentinel, 4 Sept.1866: At Truro, South Australia, the wife of Solomon Moody, Esq., J.P., formerly of Gortmore House, Magilligan, of a daughter.

And John Moody also:
Londonderry Sentinel, 31 Dec.1858: At Pine Cottage, Truro, South Australia, Mrs. John Moody, formerly of Magilligan, of a son.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,
                   The query on the reference to Magilligan Presbyterian Church and the grave in St Aidan's R.C. Church I cannot answer but it appears to be the grave of John and Mary Moody who appear to have been married in a presbyterian church and buried in St. Aidans. The church is in a very beautiful position and it had been used for Protestant and Catholic burials at an earlier period. See my final post in the Surnames of Magilligan posting earlier on this site.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Here's the post:
Hi,
   Going round St. Aidans R.C. churchyard this after noon I came across this Moody grave and Gortmore House reminded me of this posting.

John Moody, Gortmore House, died 19 Dec 1854 Aged 81
His wife, Mary, died 5 Oct 1859 aged 71
1 Thess. iv 4, 14v ( 1st Thessalonians Chapter 4 verse 14)
Anne Adeline Moody died 22May 1869 age 3 years 10 mths
Elizabath (sic) Moody died 20 Aug 1872 aged 19 years
Both daughters of AJH Moody
AJH Moody J.P. born 17 Aug 1819 died 11 Mar 1899
Elizabeth, his wife, Died 13 Aug 1918 aged 92.

Regards

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,334586.15.html

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Some extra names for your files. They are taken from an index of the 1831 census for County Londonderry which only gives heads of household. The full census only adds the number of males and females and their religion. The names are Moodys from the parish of Magilligan.
Cathert ?? no townland given
John           Lenamore
John           Carnoury (this is probably Carnowry)
John           Cloony
Mr.              Umbra (implies a gentleman)
Solomen     Lenamore
William Esq Umbra  (a gentleman)

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
1831 Magilligan
John Moody in Aughil
John Moody in Clooney
John Moody in Lenamore
Solomon Moody in Lenamore
Catherine Moody in Umbra
William Moody in Umbra

Offline E Caldwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshat, Moody. I've reformatted yor post to make it a bit easier to read and split it from the other topic so that it won't get lost t the end of that thread.

To start with there's a few things that need clarified:

Bellavena Co Ldy. maybe??
This should be Bellarena not Bellavena.

Presbyterian ministers are not known as Parish priests. Only Church of Ireland (established Church) and Roman Catholic churches have parishes. R.C. clergy known as priests and C. of I clergy generally called rectors. Pressbyterian Churches are organised into Presbyteries which do not follow civil parish boundaries.
Rev. Samuel Butler was minister of Magilligan Presbyterian Church from 1814 until he retired in 1851 (he died 1862). The next minister was his nephew Hugh McIntyre Butler (minister 1851-1917- died 1930).
If your Moodys were Presbyterian I'm puzzled as to connection with burials in a R.C. graveyard. Most Presbyterians are buried in either Presbyterian or Church of Ireland graveyards.

Aghadowey, I have overlapping records for the first Minister of Magilligan Presby (Samuel Butler) and the Reverend John Graham - who is listed as the Rector of Magilligan for many years while Mr. Butler was alive.  Am I missing something to explain this?  Was the parish big enough to have Mr. Butler be the minister at Magilligan Presby, while Mr. Graham was the rector of a larger area?  I profess my lack of understanding of Presby governance now or then, but figuring this point out will close something for me in my quest to find many missing Caldwell graves in Magilligan (BallyLeighery).  We have been unable to find them at Dunboe, Myroe or Ballykelly.  As always, thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
The title Rector is for Church of Ireland ministers and those churches would be entirely separate from Presbyterian churches.