Author Topic: Friars Vennel Dumfries  (Read 12054 times)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Friars Vennel Dumfries
« on: Thursday 11 June 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of a site that has photos of the Friars Vennel Dumfries.
My gggrandfather lived there and its name is intriguing me

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Friars Vennel Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
I had a coffee in a cafe there a few years ago - I'll see if i can find anything. It's a small  lane connecting Irish street with the river walkway (can't remember the name of that one!)

If you Google it (Friars Vennel +Dumfries) and then click images , masses of piccies come up  :D

Here's one:

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/c4b/c4be24d549ec4d134195f56c94053995_cd6.jpg

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 09 06:47 BST (UK) »
when i was a child  many years ago friars vennel on a saturday was one of the busiest streets you can imagine you could hardly move for people  it is changed days now all the good shops from years ago are gone  sometimes the river nith would flood it would be half way up the vennel and everybody would be out clearing up  sometimes things from the past were better than now  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 09 08:05 BST (UK) »
It  looks as if it has been an interesting street.We must stop off next time we are retuning to Lancashire now I know I had ancestors born there.

Dotty

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
It was a very interesting street. Even as recent as 20 years ago when I was wee, my favorite place of course was Newalls toy shop at the bottom of 'The Vennel'!

My ex husband also ran a clothes shop there in the early 90s. It was the reason we met as I would walk past him every day after my lunchtime shift as a waitress!

But its a very quiet street nowadays unfortunately...

Tx

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
I am going back now to the late fifties, when my mother worked as a waitress in an Italian ice cream parlour called Fuscos, it was always a treat to go there. Regards stoop.

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
Must visit one day.

Dotty

Offline MrsL

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
I remember Fuscos very well, went in there after school on teh way down to Whitesands for the bus back to KPD; I went to the Academy.  The Vennel is indeed a shadow of its former self, which is sad; various pubs down there,a good bakery and a wool shop, surplus shop.  Lillte boutique in the 70s called The Hobbit too. I remember the flooding too - all teh buses shifted up or down accordingly, and The Vennel closed.
Hunter;Sykes