Author Topic: Friars Vennel Dumfries  (Read 12052 times)

Offline winonpens

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Friars Vennel Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
I used to regularly visit Fusco's in Friar's Vennel 1969/70. It was owned by the father of one of my school friends at St. Joseph's. The girl who served me coffee was the very first time I'd asked a girl to go to a disco. It was also the very first time I'd played a record on a juke box. Bob & Marcia's Young Gifted & Black! Fusco's was on our way to the buses 

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Friars Vennel is named after the track used by the Grey Friars from their friary to the river. It was in the Church of the Grey Friars that Robert the Bruce slew his rival, the Red Coymn on 19th February 1306. That event was possibly the most important event in the political history of Scotland. It kick-started the Scottish wars of independence, put Bruce on the throne of Scotland and led to the treaties of Edinburgh and Northampton where King Edward III agreed to Scotland being an independent nation.  see www.brucetrust.co.uk

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to todays contacts-really must go one day.

Dotty

Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 June 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Robert the Bruce murdered the Red Comyn in the Greyfriars Priory, Dumfries, presumably this Vennel was near there.

Skoosh.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 June 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I meant to say that Bruce slew the Comyn on 10th Feb 1306. I must have hit the wrong button.