Author Topic: bucklebury families  (Read 12503 times)

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bucklebury families
« on: Friday 12 June 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
I am researching my husbands family history which includes the Mortons and Fishers of Bucklebury. i have an unnamed picture which has been dated to between 1890-1893 most likely a Morton. I'm posting it in the hope that someone recognises the couple and can throw some light as to why it was taken in Worcester.

Sally Harris

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: bucklebury families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 09 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally,
We have been in touch before on other sites as we are very distantly related via the Sellwoods. I am wondering if the photo is of John Morton 1845 who married Mary Pike. 
They certainly travelled around. In 1881 in Suffolk, in 1891 in Huntingdonshire. I don't havae them in 1901.  Like his grandfather before him, John 1845 was a non-conformist preacher.

Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
hello Victoria,
I think you may be right. Matching it with a peter Morton Picture I have I had just decided it was Peter at a younger age until I had the picture dated. in 1901 John is still living in Great Grandsen -huntingdonshire right next to the babptist chapel.

Sally

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 09 07:57 BST (UK) »
Ah, some distant relatives!

I am a direct descendent of Tabitha Morton, (bc 1828) the youngest daughter of John Morton, the preacher and campaigner against enclosure - he was my Gt Gt Gt grandfather.

Tabitha left Bucklebury and went to live in the Deptford/Greenwich area of SE London after her little indiscretion in Bucklebury (the birth of her daughter Sarah Ann in 1847). In 1850, she married a local Greenwich man, William Bradley, at St Luke's Charlton, and William gave Sarah Ann his name as well as fathering four other children.

Does anyone have details of the family before John, or his wife Sarah's maiden name?

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hello siegebatteries
I think that we can help one another. Yes, I have John Morton senior's wife's maiden name. It was Bradley and I have often wondered whether there was a relationship with dau Tabitha's husband. Haven't followed it up, however.
John Morton was born in Sunninghill according to my research -  to John and Mary nee Radwell.
I am distantly related via dau Mercy who married John Sellwood, one of my paternal lot. 

I am happy to share my Sellwood research if you are happy to share Bradley stuff.
I will send you a PM with my email address.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
sometime ago someone suggested to me that johns wife was called Sarah Bradley -however recently someone shared a tree with me giving the name as Sarah Lilford -the marriage supposedly took place at St Frideswides in Frilsham on 11th August 1818.  I haven't checked it out yet.
Sally Harris

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 09 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies - Tabitha's husband's family of Bradleys were definitely Kentish in origin, and while their eldest son was called John Morton Bradley (b1857), their second son was Henry Liford Bradley (b1861), so perhaps the Liford connection is the stronger possibility. I have been told the registers of Frilsham were stolen some years ago, but perhaps the Bishop's Transcripts have survived.

There seems to have been links between Tabitha and her Sellwood nieces - Lydia Sellwood was with Tabitha's family in Greenwich in 1861 and Sarah Ann Bradley worked in Newbury with her cousin Mercy Sellwood in 1871.

I would be very happy to share info

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
sometime ago someone suggested to me that johns wife was called Sarah Bradley -however recently someone shared a tree with me giving the name as Sarah Lilford -the marriage supposedly took place at St Frideswides in Frilsham on 11th August 1818.  I haven't checked it out yet.
Sally Harris
Hello,

The marriage of John Morton and Sarah Bradley is on the VRI British Isles as 18 Oct 1818 in Bucklebury. In 1851 Sarah said born Frilsham, but in 1861, Bucklebury.

I take the point about dau Tabitha naming a child with the middle name Liford, but I have not come across a marriage of John to Sarah Liford as yet.

I have sent a PM to you, seigebatteries, so I look forward to hearing from you on my home address

Yours
Vicwinann

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
to seige batteries . I'm attaching a picture of john morton in case you haven't got one.
sally Harris