Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 81240 times)

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Metropolitan Police Records Online
« on: Friday 12 June 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters.

I have been slowly working on a project to get transcribed indexes for books in the Registers of Leavers for the Metropolitan Police (London). As a by-product of this I have uploaded the photographs that I am using on to flickr.

There are transcribed indexes for some of the Registers of Leavers on Your Archives. There are also photographs for all but a few of the pages of these books on flickr too. I am going to continue to add the transcribed indexes as and when I complete them to the National Archives' Your Archives website.

Other records also include the Numerical Registers, which cover the very first officers who joined the force. There are also some of the Attestation Ledgers.

I hope that it's all helpful for other people researching their family history.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant, found my great uncle had been dismised after almost 5 years service. Wonder what he had been up to? ;D ;D
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
There might be a record somewhere else in the National Archives collection that has more information.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
what a star you are!

jaywit told me of your wonderful resources, I found a ggrandfather on one of the leavers photographs. I already knew the date he died which made it quite simple to find him!

Brilliant!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
Glad that it's of use. I have other photographs that will go up in the near-ish future.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Wonderful, just found him the Attestation ledger too, which is nice as it has his signature!

a very big thank-you!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
I'd like to look for gt grandad Charles Colgan warrant 58785 but I can't seem to get to the links. What am I doing wrong ?  >:(
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
his attestation will probably be before my ggrandfather's. His number was 63095 and he joined 19 Aug 1878

try opening MEPO 4/352  there are 138 photos, I think it will be in that folder.  You need to scroll through them, they are in numeric order

good luck

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Try this link Jen  ;)

straight to him

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06hb/