Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 109706 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 June 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
just above there are size options, choose original.  Underneath,you will see the dimensions

Jenny

Can't see those options..  Should I be registered/ signed in or something?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/3243851957/in/set-72157613200718169/

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

click on the little magnifying glass, top left, just above the image.

P.S. I didn't register.
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 June 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Ok, for some reason, it's white-on-white on this laptop...

I'll go make some tea..

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnaby,
Thanks very much for having a look for me,
Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 June 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Helllo Jimmijam. I answered from memory to your question. I have had a look and there are some officers that were attested into the Met force in 1872 - MEPO 4/352.  MEPO 4/352/73 is the start of the year for that record.

Do you know how long the officer served in the force? I don't know whether the records that I have cover the Mounted Police, though I don't see why not. I could have a look on the Registers of Leavers that I have, if you can't find it in the Your Archives selection - as I have a bigger list that I am checking before they go online. Do you know what date they left?

Yours, Barnaby

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 June 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello PaulineJ.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I am going to assume that you have got to a page that looks like <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/3563454000/in/set-72157618780182652/">MEPO 4/352/3</a>. In this case you should see a magnifying glass above the top left of the photograph, with the wording All Sizes next to it. You just need to click on this.

You should then be taken to a bigger page where you can look at the larger version called Original.

Barnaby

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 June 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barnaby,  I have now managed to view it legibly. (still  no idea why my laptop has those icons white-on-white)
It's a wonderful addition to the resources and I can only admire you for transcribing & indexing it all.
It's a gem of a site.

Pauline

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 June 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnaby,
Thanks ever so much for doing further research for me.

My 2x great grandfather was Claud Behenna. He was born in 1849 in Kennington Oval, London. He joined the 2nd Dragoons, the "Royal Scots Grays" (RSG) a cavalry Regiment. In 1872, he was stationed in Perth Barracks.  By 1872/73, Claud (25) is a Police Constable, "50V" recorded on the birth certificate of my great grandmother in Nunhead, London. By the time of the 1881 census, he was aged 33 and a "Traveller (Mineral Waters)" in Camberwell, Surrey.

I assume that he had left the RSG c1872 and joined the Police and served for there for a period of time. According to other notes, he was a mounted Police Officer, "No. 500". I don't have any original documents for this information, but perhaps he joined this branch due to his army background.  If you can find anything further, we'd be delighted to hear about it.  Thank you so much for your amazing hard work.

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 June 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
I would just like to apologise to you all. I have created a reference schedule for 3 of the viewable Attestation Ledgers, which should make it easier to find people if you know their warrant number. I should have done this at the beginning. I assumed that all was okay with them. It turns out that there were some problems with namings of the photos and so these have been changed - for most of them it's been the removal of the double or single leading zeros.  I also found that some of the MEPO 4/352 photos were in MEPO 4/353, so I re-unted them.

They are much easier to look through now. I'm going to hide MEPO 4/356 until I have worked on this and the other two that I have photographs for. In future I'll check them before I make them visible.

Sorry  :-X