Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 109708 times)

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 June 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Jimmijam. I've had a look, nothing ... yet. Will keep trying though, as there was one missing page that covered the period I was looking under and I'll give this a go the next time I'm at TNA.

Barnaby

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnaby,

Once again, thanks very much for pursuing this for me. Living in Scotland means that I am unable to get down to the National Archives to search personally, so I really appreciate this,

Best wishes, Jimmijam
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Jimmijam, good news. I have found Claude Behenna - complete with an extra E - on the page that I had somehow managed to miss photographing. His warrant number was 57176 and he was attested into division V of the force, on 8th September, 1873. Finding out when he left might require a little more searching. If I have time I'll give it a go. Hopefully this helps though.

I'll upload the photo later today.

Barnaby

Offline jimmijam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, that's fantastic!

Thanks so much!
My email address is not working sorry.
Davidson Whytock Whittet

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 June 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. Just to let you all know that all of the Attestation Ledgers have been uploaded. There's a problem with one photograph being out of focus. I'll sort this out some when. There are reference indexes on Your Archives, so if you know the officers warrant number you can find the right photo quickly from these.

The quickest way to get to the photographed records is through the Metropolitan Police Records (MEPO) page.

I have also made available the indexes for the Registers of Leavers. I will name these and include them on the Your Archives pages, for the books that don't have transcribed indexes. They are arranged by surname and should point you in the right direction.

I hope that this is yet still more helpful.

[EDITED: Friday 19 June 09 16:18 BST (UK) ] To make the link work.

Offline elliejelly69

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:17 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate a Detective Sargeant Harry Farrant, we have found he was still serving in the Met in 1917 but would love more info on him, eg warrent number, year he left etc. Thank you to jc26red for suggesting site and help so far. I have look through records you have on so far but didn't find Harry! 
Farrant-Devon and Fienga- Wales and Italy

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 July 09 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hello elliejelly69. I have had a look, albeit briefly, and have found a Harry Farrant at the bottom of page 65 (the left one) of MEPO 4/346. Is this the one that you are looking for? It has him as starting in 1895 and leaving in 1920. The warrant number is: 80399. The leaving date would fit with what you have.

I have also located the attestation record for this person on MEPO 4/355/133 (at the bottom right). Does the handwriting look familiar to you?

Hope is helpful, BarnabyP

P.S. I found a few other Farrants in the Registers of Leavers, are these also related?

Offline elliejelly69

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 July 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, it was really great to view these!!! could you tell me what the heading of the 5th column is with EX written in? Does it mean a trip to Kew for his pension record? and can you view his service record? where was division L? Brilliant site and help!
Elliejelly69
Farrant-Devon and Fienga- Wales and Italy

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 July 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello elliejelly69. I believe that the Ex stands for excellent or exemplary. There's a good chance that there is a pension record for him at the National Archives, though I haven't photographed them at the moment. Like my great-great-grandfather, Harry was in the force for almost exactly 25 years, which is about the amount of time they needed to be in the force to receive a pension. I'll point you to the Metropolitan Police (London): Records of Service research guide on the National Archives' website for further information, instead of writing it here.

There does appear to be a chance that Harry has a service record too though.

Best of luck, BarnabyP