Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 110059 times)

Offline OGRAPS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 13 November 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, you may have moved on from this query by now (I've only just found your post on RootsChat from 2012) but I have a fair bit of information about "armless" George Batten, who was my wife's maternal gt gt grandfather. Happy to share it with you if you're still interested. :)

Ograps

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 13 November 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ograps welcome to rootschat ;D

You are possibly best to PM the person who you are answering directly, however to be able to do that you need to post a couple more times, so even if you acknowledge this post and then post again your PM will then be open to use and all you do is click on their name and send them a PM ( personal message)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline sueinnarara

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for help on finding out about my great grandfather William Stroud who, on the 1891 census is listed as Metropolitan Detective Inspector.  He lived in London.  He passed away in 1892 before he was 40. I remember my father telling me (vaguely) that he died in the line of duty.  I've checked the Roll of Honour and Book of Remembrance and I can't find anything out about him or his police service. Am I looking in the wrong place.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Saturday 21 March 15 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi  sueinnarara welcome to rootschat ;D

This might help you http://content.met.police.uk/Site/mpshistoryinformation and http://www.policememorial.org.uk/

and I am sure that others will be along to help you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline janab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online - William Dewhurst
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:26 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I am new to this forum...

I have Discharge Papers for my gg Grandfather which tell me; "William Henry Dewhurst joined “S” Division of the London Metropolitan Police Force; warrant # 13996; recommended by E. Glascock, 19 Duke St., Portland Place and Mr. J. Dewhurst, 21 Regent St., Kensington. He retired from service with the London Metropolitan Police Force, S Division, 5 December 1855 with an annual pension of £ 27."

Are there further records available???  ;) If so, I am confused as to how to access them online... help?! Thanks in advance...

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
National Archives on Metropolitan Police are here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hbrowse?id=C210748
Admittedly I was looking for someone who joined later in 1926, but here I found an entry in a register when he signed up and was assigned to a division; another joining entry when he was assigned a warrant number with that division; and an entry line in a leaving register in 1927.

I also found in the electoral rolls that he lived at: The Police Section House, Ramsgate St, Hackney; and Police Section House, Mare Street, South Hackney

Hopefully there are similar entries you can find.

You could also try: The Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre, 2014. London: The Annexe, Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, West Brompton SW6 1TR.
Jon
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online - William Dewhurst
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I am new to this forum...

I have Discharge Papers for my gg Grandfather which tell me; "William Henry Dewhurst joined “S” Division of the London Metropolitan Police Force; warrant # 13996; recommended by E. Glascock, 19 Duke St., Portland Place and Mr. J. Dewhurst, 21 Regent St., Kensington. He retired from service with the London Metropolitan Police Force, S Division, 5 December 1855 with an annual pension of £ 27."

Are there further records available???  ;) If so, I am confused as to how to access them online... help?! Thanks in advance...

( it says) The Metropolitan Police archives date back to 1875, so you have something that is 20 yrs prior to those. I was looking for someone 50 yrs later and who died as a young man in service and couldn't find anything

http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Historical-Records/1400015486704/1400015486704

Offline julie66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have a John Dennis, b 1806, Torpoint Cornwall.  Parents Unknown.  In 1841 he was a police constables age 35 and lived 33 Stanhope street St. Clement Danes.  I do not know his number or where he was stationed. 1851 he was working as a baker and 1858 as a Commerce Clerk.  Again in 1851 he returned to the police and lived in 48 Picket Place, st Clement Danes, Middlesex.  1871, age 66 he was working as Usher, police court. 
He died Jan 1886 Somerset.
Could you help in any way please.  I don't know if the above info will help so apologies if a it vague.

Regards
Julie

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
OK this is an old... & long topic....

I have a James Hawkins born 1878 Isleworth, Middlesex who was a police constable when he married Jessie Partridge in Hook, Surrey in 1907. In 1911 census they living in Kings Cross, London where the record says he was with the Metropoliton Police. In 1901 he was a PC living at Police Station, Tottenham Court Road.

Are there any police records that tell me more about him?

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------