Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 109707 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Metropolitan Police Pension Records are available on Ancestry now. Have you checked them?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Friday 28 April 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Romilly,  Yes I have searched there but this James Hawkins not featured, nor is he found when searching the MEPO records at The National Archives database.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Seems James Hawkins died aged 41 in Hendon RD in Dec 1918
His burial on 8 Nov 1918 at Little Stanmore, Middx has his address at 6 Mead/s Road
His wife Jessie is there with him in 1918 & then at that address every year up to 1965 as per London Electoral Rolls. And again there as per 1939 Register where birth date is 24/12/1876   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline squirrelinatree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Friday 16 March 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have had success finding records for my great grandfather and his brother who both served around 1900 but may have just found that my great great grandfather was serving about 1850. I have found what may be him on the joining record and found the warrant no, 27593 (joined 1850) but can't find any other records associated with that no. as I did with the later ones.  I think it is the police register I have found for my gt grandfather, which lists height, weight, birthplace and other interesting info but I can't see it available for as early as 1850. Am I being blind?!
Williams - Abergavenny/Cardigan
Morris - Cardigan
Penfold - Pagham/Hampshire
Mitchell - Sittingbourne
Matthews - Sittingbourne
Everard - Braintree
Lowe - Kidderminster
Giles - Kidderminster
Sadler - London
Miller -Wiltshire/Mountain Ash
Bracher - Wiltshire
Tucker - North Devon

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Friday 16 March 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
You need to enter some names for some one to help you
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline squirrelinatree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Friday 16 March 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
You need to enter some names for some one to help you
Elizabeth

I was hoping someone might just be able to tell me if records existed for 1850 here. :)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/officer-in-police-force/

I'm looking for George Harding Penfold.  I found a mention of him in a court record on Ancestry in July 1850 and found his joining record (May 1850)  but because on 1851 census he is living with his family in Droxford, farmer's son, and later was a farmer, I had no idea he had ever been a policeman so am trying to find out if it is the same man.
Williams - Abergavenny/Cardigan
Morris - Cardigan
Penfold - Pagham/Hampshire
Mitchell - Sittingbourne
Matthews - Sittingbourne
Everard - Braintree
Lowe - Kidderminster
Giles - Kidderminster
Sadler - London
Miller -Wiltshire/Mountain Ash
Bracher - Wiltshire
Tucker - North Devon

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Friday 15 February 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about EDWARD HINE who is listed in the 1851 census as being a police constable living in police barracks in North Street, Westminster (parish of St Martin in the Fields). His place of birth there is given as East Sheen, Surrey but he fits with someone of that exact name who was christened in Mortlake in 1827. He married (back in Mortlake) in 1852.... and then I cannot find him again.

Over thirty years later an Elizabeth Hine's marriage shows up in Dumbartonshire and the marriage record gives her father's name as Edward Hine, policeman, deceased. And then her place of birth is given as Westminster, England.

Rather intriguing! As this would have been in the early days of the Met I'd love to find out more about Edward - I cant find a police pension record, death record or anything except these two references to him being a policeman in Westminster. Any ideas on where to look would be helpful and appreciated.
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline SidSilverSurfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Monday 11 May 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters.

I have been slowly working on a project to get transcribed indexes for books in the Registers of Leavers for the Metropolitan Police (London). As a by-product of this I have uploaded the photographs that I am using on to flickr.

There are transcribed indexes for some of the <a href="http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Category:Metropolitan_Police_Registers_Of_Leavers">Registers of Leavers</a> on <a href="http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/">Your Archives</a>. There are also <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/collections/72157613987467704/">photographs</a> for all but a few of the pages of these books on flickr too. I am going to continue to add the transcribed indexes as and when I complete them to the <a href="http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/">National Archives'</a> <a href="http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/">Your Archives</a> website.

Other records also include the <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/collections/72157615952312310/">Numerical Registers</a>, which cover the very first officers who joined the force. There are also some of the <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/collections/72157618696862035/">Attestation Ledgers</a>.

I hope that it's all helpful for other people researching their family history.

Offline SidSilverSurfer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Monday 11 May 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find my late husband's police constable record.   I have an official picture of him and his fellow Officers dated January 1958 after, I assume, his graduation as an officer.    His name was Percy Chater SMITH.   Unfortunately I do not have his police number and I wonder what range he might have been within for 1957 / 58.??

The only other thing he mentioned was that he spent time in Brighton at the time of their "bent copper" problems.
I have tried he National Archives but cannot get the hang of the records there.
Many thanks for any advice.