Author Topic: Thomas Merrells Mayor of Swansea 1915-1916  (Read 19160 times)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Merrells Mayor of Swansea 1915-1916
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 December 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat.

Hopefully a family member will spot your post  :)

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Allesandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 30 December 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
Was your Grandfather Sydney b. 9 Feb 1897 d. Aug 1986, the son of Thomas Arthur marr to Kate Morgan ?
If you have checked through all the messages you will see that our connection is not on the Swansea branch who are all descended from
William Merrells b. 1834 in Colchester, ESS, the English Mariner who died in Guyana, South America and married Elizabeth Ann Jones of Swansea.   
William's father was Joseph Merrells 1806-1894 and his father John Merrells 1765-1848.
Joseph was a younger brother of one of our Gt Grandfather's.
I have done a lot of work researching and adding in this Welsh branch to our tree !
If you are interested contact me directly.
Best wishes,
Sandra
SWEETLOVE, TAME, CREW, MENOTE, BRADFIELD, PENNELL.
TONGEMAN, LOUGER, LOEBER, FAIRBRASS, CHAMBERS, COPPEN, WATERS, COLTHUP.

Offline Tom from OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
My apologies firstly, I posted the original msg Re: Thomas Merrells and for a long time been conspicuous by my absence.  For some reason I have not been updated with messages being posted on this thread, but it seems you have been getting on very nicely without me :'(

Seriously, after so many years I am still trying to find the link between Thomas Merrells Lord Mayor of Swansea and Alydia Annie Maude Jessie Dowsett ne Merrells my Grand Mother. 

Offline KateEvs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat

I believe your grandfather Sidney was the brother of my great-grandmother Katie Merrells (b. 1894).

I have done some research into our Welsh arm of the Merrells family, and you are welcome to contact me directly if I can be of any help.

Kind regards,

Kate

Offline thefarmerswife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

I would love to know anything you have discovered. I was amazed when I spotted the photo you listed, as I have an original huge framed copy from around 1916 hanging in my hall!

Regards

Pat

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 December 12 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a page (pen portrait) on Thomas Merrells from an old book on Swansea mayors. Written by a former councillor and mayor.

If anyone would like a JPG copy for private research purposes please PM me your personal e-mail address. Might take me a day or two to reply. 

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline stephenresting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 July 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
I do not know how current this discussion is, having only recently discovered this website.
Thomas Arthur Merrells was my Great Grandfather.
Having lost several members of my family recently I have decided to restart an old project - the family tree.
I have details tracing the family back the 1600,s and would be happy to help anyone from the family looking for details

Stephen

Offline stephenresting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 05 July 15 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
Further to my recent post my father was Leslie Resting referred to in post 19, and I too, have a copy of the picture shown on reply 28

Stephen

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 06 July 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
I can e-mail you a couple of pages on TA Merrells for personal research purposes only if you PM me your e-mail address. See my post just above yours for what it is.

Bernard