Author Topic: LOOKUP REQUEST: Birth of Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
LOOKUP REQUEST: Birth of Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon
« on: Sunday 14 June 09 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Even though I have subscribed to a number of Ireland resources on the Internet, I have been unable to find any record of the birth of my Gt Gt Grandfather, Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon, who was born in Bleary, County Down, circa 1840.

He emigrated to New Zealand (apparently via Australia), and the birth information above was obtained from the record of his Marriage in New Zealand, so it should be accurate.

I am particularly interested in who is Parents were, and also his siblings, as according to family history, he emigrated to Australia with a brother, and then came to NZ.

Any help would be most appreciated with this!  Many thanks!
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP REQUEST: Birth of Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   1840 is before the introduction of civil registration of births in Ireland which occurred in 1864. The IGI, www.familysearch.org gives a birth of Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon on 18 Jan 1880 , also in Bleary. Parents were Thomas Sinnamon and Nansie Mills. They were married in Tullyish Church of Ireland, Banbridge, Co Down in 1864. The church records may have further information.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response, but that is a different Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon, although he is no doubt connected to my Hugh Lockhart in some way.  That Hugh emigrated to Canada, whereas my Hugh emigrated to New Zealand and married here in 1869, which is before the other Hugh was even born.

If anyone can advise me on where else I might be able to search for him, it would be appreciated.  Have already subscribed to Emerald Ancestors, Ancestry, British & Irish Origins, checked PRONI and Family Search, but have been unable to find any record of him.  Not sure if it is relevant, but he was not Roman Catholic, and was married in an Anglican Church in New Zealand.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/index.html
alternate spellings of name - Cinnamon, Cinnamond

I would not rule out pursuing information on the other Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon as many families used a naming pattern when naming the children. Often the first male son was named for a father or grandfather and then the next for an older brother. As registration of births occured after 1864 you can sometimes use children born later in a marriage to search for older siblings. It is entirely possible that Thomas is a younger brother to Hugh and that you may find the names of the parents through him. Also you may want to search for records through the church where Thomas married as that could also lead you to more info on Hugh. Especially as the names are all related to Bleary.
Some of the free sites you can check are:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
I have used these sites to search for more current family members and worked backwards from there.
Have you checked Griffiths Valuation for a list of names.
Good luck
Val

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Perhaps another relative?:
"Probate of the Will of Thomas Sinnamon late of Bleary County Down Farmer who died 20 August 1908 granted at Belfast to George Dobson and Samuel James Watson Farmers." (www.proni.gov.uk)
Death registration for Thomas lists age as 77 (born c1831):
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
Just in case this could help in your search, Bleary is a small village in Co. Down just a few miles from Lurgan and Portadown. When searching for the surname, I would pay attention to surrounding villages of Bleary.

In previous post, I gave the Roz Davies site. It is a great site to check for surnames, place names, churches, etc.
Valerie

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 09 01:26 BST (UK) »
Valeriec:  Yes, I actually suspect that Thomas Sinnamon is a brother to my Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon, but have been having difficulties confirming that.  There is also an Isaac Sinnamon, born circa 1827, who emigrated to Australia, and he might be the Brother that Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon emigrated with, as told by older family members.  It's just being able to confirm these things that I am having difficulties with.

I certainly understand about naming patterns as well, and because my Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon named one of his sons with the middle name of Darcy, I suspect that the D'Arcy Sinnamon, who apparently worked in the area of Emigration, was in fact Hugh's father.  But, it is only a suspicion at this stage.  One thing I've also been trying to do is figure out where the name 'Lockhart' came in to the family line, as it is one that repeats a number of times, but haven't been able to locate it yet.

Yes, I have checked Griffiths Valuation, and whilst I have found a lot of names, I can't seem to put all the 'pieces' together.  Will try your suggestions and thanks for your reply.

aghadowey:  Thanks for that link to Family Search ~ I didn't know that they had that information available as well!  Will spend some time there searching as well.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 09 04:11 BST (UK) »
Okay, after some more research, I *think* I might have pieced this together, but would appreciate some feedback on my methodology.

The Forename 'Darcy' is one that has been repeated in the Sinnamon family in New Zealand until at least the 1950's, and there was a Darcy Sinnamon, born circa 1800 in Co. Armagh, to a Thomas Sinnamon and Mary Anne Wentworth.  Prior to this, the forename 'Darcy' had not appeared in the Sinnamon line, however, Mary Anne's father was Darcy Wentworth, as were a number of her Ancestors.  Thomas and Mary Anne only had 2 children, one being Darcy, and the other Harriett.  From this, I deduced that only this particular Darcy Sinnamon would have children who would continue the 'Darcy' forename in future generations, as it was a family name from his Mother, Mary Anne Wentworth, rather than from his the Sinnamon side.

As a result, I believe that Darcy Sinnamon, born circa 1800, is in fact Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon's father.

Any feedback on this would be most appreciated!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 09 03:37 BST (UK) »
I assume that the information in your last post was obtained from the familysearch.org site.
If you look at Hugh Lockhart Sinnamon and Darcy Wentworth Sinnamon under details you will find the names and addresses of the people who submitted the information. If you haven't already been in contact with these people, that could be another avenue to pursue.
I would continue to piece the information together based on the naming pattern and then try and get some death certificates of one or two, especially Darcy Sinnamon, that you think may be closely related to those who you are looking for. Hopefully you will get something from the certficate that will help in your search. If the death certificate lists an informant, this could be an immediate family member.
Thomas and Mary Anne may have had many children but perhaps only two lived.
This is an example of naming pattern in my family. My great grandfather named his first daughter for his mother, the first son for his wife's father, the second daughter that lived for my ggreat grandmother, the second son for his father and also himself. There is a gap of 3 years between the first son and second daughter and I have come to believe that a daughter was born and died named Catherine named after my greatgrandmother's mother. This name was again used for a child born later in the marriage that lived. This also wasn't an unusual practice.  Also the time frame between the first child and last child can span 20 some years.
If you can narrow down the churches for a reasonable search, I would make contact to see if they have any records. There are quite a few records at PRONI that are not available on line.
Keep on searching. I have found that new information continually becomes available on line and sometimes it is luck that brings information or relatives to you. I found a cousin in Scotland who was searching for his relatvies in Canada and I was searching for mine in Scotland and together we have found some of our ancestors in Ireland. It is time consuming and a slow process but worth the wait when you find that one piece of information that leads to whole families.